XP w/hard drives

decade146

Beta member
Hey guys i just built a custom computer. I am stuck right now hope you can help. I'll difer the two comps by saying hp and custom pc.

Right now my custom pc is running a western digital hard drive with a working version of xp installed. My hp comp has a maxtor hard drive. While trying to start my custom pc my computer restarts after trying to get xp loading with the western digital. When hooking the western digital to my hp comp it works just fine, the weird thing is the maxtor runs on my custom comp perfectly! I have tried several attempts still i get the same results. What could possible cause this to happen?

it could be that your windows is corrupt and wont let it boot up
somtimes the computer just doosent like some things, its happend to me many times

The fact that it boots fine on the HP comp though is weird, but won't run on the one it is meant for. So it can't be what's on the hard drive, and must be something to do with the target PC...

I honestly don't know what this could be...

Try this. Connect the normal HP hard drive to the Custom PC and see if this works. If it does then it can't be the PC either. It could also be the fact that Windows XP has a problem with new computer builds if you by any chance set up that hard drive on the computer it will work on.

Hope this helps

Hmmm...

What are the sizes of the two drives? What is the make and model of both motherboards?

i hooked the hp hard drive to my custom comp and xp worked great.

maxtor 80gb
wd 80gb

hp msi motherboard
custom Abit ATX Motherboard A17

This seems to be a compatibility issue with your drive then as it can't be the pc.

By any chance can you put the drive on the computer it will work on, drag the files you want off, and then format the drive using the PC it won't work on? You can then re-install windows and add the files back.
It must be the way it was setup on the PC previously and this is the only way I can think of fixing it.

Hope this helps :)

i found the solution, thanks for all the help! i found out with some technicians because my hard drive was restored on a hp motherboard it would not operate correctly on the abit i actually had to restore it using the f10 (hidden on screen) while loading. easier than i thought!

Back
Top Bottom