Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
In Runtime

Question XP and Ram

I know this question is seen around the forums plastered all over the internet. But I have a question involving XP and Vista when seeing 4GB of ram.

I have Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit currently, all of my ram is shown but I know it is not being used. I would like to have my 4GB of ram "be seen" Not necessarily used in XP. Is there anyway to "see" the 4GB of ram and let it be shown in the computer information, I do not care if it is being used or not.

Also, I know the solution is "get a 64-bit operating system" I do not want to do that.

Is there any way to do this. Thanks very much!

Reliable Online Backup? Click Here!
Verbatim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: XP and Ram

I think 32 bit operating systems can use a max of 4GB. It'll take around 3.25-3.5 GB for itself and use the rest for video memory if my memory serves correct.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
In Runtime

It really depends on the mobo, from what I've heard. This is COMPLETELY flying by the seat of my pants here, but I assume you have four slots for RAM, A1, B1, A2, B2. Most 64 bit OS's would benefit from using A1 and B1, but try using the A1 A2 config and see if that will show in your system specs.
PvilleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim47 View Post
I know this question is seen around the forums plastered all over the internet. But I have a question involving XP and Vista when seeing 4GB of ram.

I have Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit currently, all of my ram is shown but I know it is not being used. I would like to have my 4GB of ram "be seen" Not necessarily used in XP. Is there anyway to "see" the 4GB of ram and let it be shown in the computer information, I do not care if it is being used or not.

Also, I know the solution is "get a 64-bit operating system" I do not want to do that.

Is there any way to do this. Thanks very much!
Sounds like you just want bragging rights to say that you have 4gb of ram. Why wouldn't you want to use it all?

Get a 64bit OS......haha....

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
In Runtime

I do not want bragging rights?? my friends know my comp specs lol. Look at my comp in the sig. The sole reason is because I want to reinstall XP and have the span feature on my new dual monitors. Any information would be appreciated...

Reliable Online Backup? Click Here!
Verbatim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

This may help you: The RAM reported by the System Properties dialog box and the System Information tool is less than you expect in Windows Vista or in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later version
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim47 View Post
I do not want bragging rights?? my friends know my comp specs lol. Look at my comp in the sig. The sole reason is because I want to reinstall XP and have the span feature on my new dual monitors. Any information would be appreciated...
Just a curiosity but why would you spend that much on a system and NOT get a 64 bit OS? And I'm sure that the missing ~.5 gbs of ram isnt going to affect the ability to span to 2 monitors...

Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline   Reply With Quote