Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2009, 02:15 AM   #11
Daemon Poster
 
wozelbeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,324
Default Re: Xp Pro Help

will the computer boot from the hdd into the infected windows?
if so you could attempt to do your fdisk from there.
__________________

__________________
PENTIUM 4 3.06 GHZ WITH HT TECHNOLOGY
wozelbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #12
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: Xp Pro Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozelbeak View Post
will the computer boot from the hdd into the infected windows?
if so you could attempt to do your fdisk from there.
yeah it will! how do i do that?
__________________

Don_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #13
Daemon Poster
 
wozelbeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,324
Default Re: Xp Pro Help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867 here for fdisk info.



here for download six floppys to boot from.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

got to go to work, best of luck.
__________________
PENTIUM 4 3.06 GHZ WITH HT TECHNOLOGY
wozelbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 AM   #14
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: Xp Pro Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozelbeak View Post
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867 here for fdisk info.



here for download six floppys to boot from.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
i dont have a floppy drive on the computer im using. thats a problem isnt it.
Don_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:41 AM   #15
Daemon Poster
 
netBooger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 557
Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger
Default Re: Xp Pro Help

Just saw this post.

You may have a BIOS virus as well. I am not sure if there are any that can make to where you can't boot from a disc. If you wanted though you could try and re-flash the BIOS and see if it does anything.
__________________
|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:44 AM   #16
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: Xp Pro Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by netBooger View Post
Just saw this post.

You may have a BIOS virus as well. I am not sure if there are any that can make to where you can't boot from a disc. If you wanted though you could try and re-flash the BIOS and see if it does anything.
how do i do that?
Don_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #17
Daemon Poster
 
netBooger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 557
Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger
Default Re: Xp Pro Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H
It does work in other computers. what is the quickets and easiest way to format the drive without having to use a startup disk or anything? i dont have any flopy's or cd's left!
If you have a thumb drive you can make that bootable and run fdisk off of that. Here is a link on how to do that.

http://techpaul.wordpress.com/2007/0...drive-to-work/


As for flashing the BIOS you have to find out what manufacturer the BIOS or go to the computer manufacturer's website, or go to the motherboard manufacturer's website. Either way they should tell you how to flash the BIOS specific to your computer.
__________________
|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #18
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: Xp Pro Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by netBooger View Post
If you have a thumb drive you can make that bootable and run fdisk off of that. Here is a link on how to do that.

http://techpaul.wordpress.com/2007/0...drive-to-work/


As for flashing the BIOS you have to find out what manufacturer the BIOS or go to the computer manufacturer's website, or go to the motherboard manufacturer's website. Either way they should tell you how to flash the BIOS specific to your computer.
would i benefit more by just flashing or doing the formating? oh yeah one thing the one thing that keeps poping up on the computer is this Antivirus 2009 crap as well as sum spywear thing. also i downloaded Avast! onto it and i keep getting this message about system32/winscenter.exe is a malicious file.

so i made my little thumb drive able to become bootable can i place .iso files on it?

so i was cruisn around the infected computer and found a folder named "Drivers (dont delete)" WTF! then saw it had a BIOS folder could this be the culprit?
__________________

Don_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0