Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via MSN to cnl83
Default XP pro activation

I have a friend that had bought a PC off of ebay some time ago, and the windows XP expired on them. I called microsoft and his pc came equipped with a pirated key or something. They have quite a bit information on that pc, so I dont want to format or reinstall windows. Im wondering how should I go about activating this system? If I go purchase a copy at the local office depot, can I just punch in the key?

cnl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: XP pro activation

Im sure you can punch in the key, once you buy it.Im not sure how you get to the screen where this occurs, but ms can easily tell you..

what is up vanilla face
G35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnl83
I have a friend that had bought a PC off of ebay some time ago, and the windows XP expired on them. I called microsoft and his pc came equipped with a pirated key or something. They have quite a bit information on that pc, so I dont want to format or reinstall windows. Im wondering how should I go about activating this system? If I go purchase a copy at the local office depot, can I just punch in the key?
don't purchase from a local store just like that.. that will only give you an upgrade edition.. which would only work for you if you had some 9x based OS installed (98, me, etc)

The key however.. I dont' think would work with an OEM version or w/e version that PC uses... there is a way to change the cd-key without reinstalling windows.. but you need a hack to do that. (or it's somewhere in the registry and I just don't know where...)
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
In Runtime

you can still go into safe mode in your pc to retrieve your data. Also, if you don't want to buy it they're plenty of cracks on the web.

Quote:
or it's somewhere in the registry and I just don't know where...
it's in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrent Version\WPAEvents\OOBETimer

i also found a quick guide

http://www.petri.co.il/change_the_se...windows_xp.htm

Hope this helps
thomas49th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

if you get a key for the full version of xp that you have, do a repair install and that will let you change the key. there is a program that will let you change it as well but i can't remember offhand what it is called.
xtremezx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner
don't purchase from a local store just like that.. that will only give you an upgrade edition.. which would only work for you if you had some 9x based OS installed (98, me, etc).
That is incorrect, you only need a Windows disk (any Windows disk except Win95 will work) to verify previous ownership to install XP from an upgrade disk. There is no requirement for a previous os to be installed.

I would get a disk and do a repair install.
DILLIGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Newegg.com -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116056

Format the disk and don't whine if you lose your data, it will happen eventually.
-nVidia GeForce 7600GT.
-Thermaltake TR2 W0070 430W PSU.
-Asus P5B Mobo.
-Lian Li Case.
PLmatt91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF
That is incorrect, you only need a Windows disk (any Windows disk except Win95 will work) to verify previous ownership to install XP from an upgrade disk. There is no requirement for a previous os to be installed.

I would get a disk and do a repair install.
Yeah your right, I forgot that it could verify the disk rather than force you to have the OS installed.. i've never personally used an upgrade edition CD.. soo yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLmatt91
Newegg.com -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116056

Format the disk and don't whine if you lose your data, it will happen eventually.
He could just burn his data to cds..
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:45 AM   #9
In Runtime

Im rather sure that if you have a bad copy of XP and you try to Windows update the computer, it will tell you that your copy is not geniune. Now when this happens i think that windows gives you a link that allows you to get a nice Product code online. But if you want to stay on the evil side and not by a product code, there are ways to get full access without paying a cent. But that last past is a secret..lol

joelbeveridge is offline   Reply With Quote