XP on non bootable CD machine

As mentioned, even if you DO get it up and running, I have a system with 192MB of RAM and a Celeron at 433MHZ and the CPU maxes out just by looking at files in explorer let alone running JUST IE. I can imagine that 96MB of RAM and a 300MHZ celeron will act quite good as a paperweight :p.

However, to help solve your problem, check your bios settings for boot devices and ide controllers and check back. You also want to make sure that your cd drive is one the master jumper and your hd is on slave or vice versa (which ever is fine), then set your boot to the CD drive, whether it be IDE 1 Slave or IDE 1 Master...which ever you set it as. Try all that and check back!

yh ill try that when i get outa bed so you guys dont think xp is a good idea, what about ubuntu ?

if you don't service pack the machine it'll likely run fine.

when I first started using XP it was on a machine just like is being talked about here, (only difference is it was 128MB ram) and it worked fine for years.

and i was still using that machine without problems whilst I was at uni, so I kept it fairly clean of random programs and stuff.

having a nice clean install meant that my crappy old 333MHz/128MB actually appeared to run faster than my brothers 1.6GHz/256MB computer that he had at the time, simply cause his was bogged down with crappy 'utilities' and such.

if you can't boot from a CD there is a six boot disc set available for XP.
just like how if you couldn't boot from a CD to install windows 98 or 95 there were boot floppies to get the machine started.

Wow, I don't think that is a computer that I'd want to be running xp on unless you upgrade the ram to something like 256mb. It'll use all your system resources then you won't have any left to run anything.

ok guys thanks for all help xp is now installed my disk came with SP2 and its not running too bad actually, not going to do SP3 and because im keeping a very very careful eye on it im not putting anti virus on it know it may be a big mistake but i think im gonna make an image of it tomorrow and jus every month re image it.

n e ways thanks for help its all good at mo and i may alos consider dual booting with linux

Back
Top Bottom