XP Memory Upgrade HELP !!!!

isit1

Beta member
I am running xp pro with 256mb RAM and am trying to upgrade to 512mb (256 x2).

When I inserted the 2nd 256 memory stick, I am getting a blue screen telling me loads o stuff about bios. Both memory sticks work seperately but not together. I have been doing some research on the HP website about this and they have a download available which I have downloaded from.... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ory&product=61505&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv168en

I downloaded it and one of the readme files stated that it fixed this problem I have....see below !!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Release Version : 3.02
Release Date : 08/10/2001
Release Notes :

1. Fixed : System cannot boot to Windows XP when system memory size is 512 MB.

But I dunno how to install it, the intall readme file says I have to start xp in dos mode !! How do I do this then ???

See below.....

------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation Method:

1. You must restart the computer in DOS mode.
For Win-ME systems, this requires the use of a boot floppy.
2. At the DOS prompt, position to C:\HP\BIOSupdt
3. Begin the BIOS update process by entering the command: BIOSupdt

4. When rebooting after the update, the following message may be displayed:

0251: System CMOS checksum bad - Default configuration used
Press <F1> to Setup, <F2> to Resume

5. Press F1 to enter SETUP
6. Press F5 to reset BIOS defaults.
7. Press F10 to exit SETUP saving your changes.
8. Press ENTER to confirm the save.

Can you help, do you think this will allow me to run full 512mb in the end ???

Your help is much appretiated.

XP doesn't use DOS.

are they in dual channel when they are both in? if so try running them not in dual channel.

Thanks for your quick reply, sorry for being a stupid person here but what is dual channel lol ??

Based on the dual channel system board designs, memory modules are installed on two separate channels, each with it's own access route to the memory controller. The dual memory channel design doubles the peak bandwidth of single memory channels. Best results occur when a matched-pair memory kit is used ensuring that the modules are identical.

Do u put them to the correct places? Usually if there is like 4 slots. And u want to put for example 2 x 512 they should be in slots 1 and 3. This could be different with different mobos. Check the mobo manual, it should tell u were to put them.

You also should be sure that you are using the same speed of memory. Some motherboards do not take nicely to mismatched memory. (Brand names usually make no difference).

Thanks for all our replies.

Yes they are in the proper place and one is Kingston 256mb SDRAM PC100, and the other is Infineon 256mb SDRAM PC100.

Can't seem to get to the bottom of this arrgghh!!!

Back
Top Bottom