Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-09-2004, 11:09 PM   #21
In Runtime

Default Re: xp installation problem

yes, a router is the vest firewall you can use.

skunx710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:12 PM   #22
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to DarkBlade

Routers are static firewalls. They have great firewalls, but with a few drawbacks as well. They can be used, but I still recommend you get a dynamic (software based) firewall because the code for the dynamic firewall changes while a Routers firewall changes you IP, which can be hacked and then spiked to continually send the virus each time it detects you don't have it again (aka after a reformat). keep using the firewall, but if there is a way (I don't know if there is or not) have the Router change its IP as well if at all possible.

BTW- I dont screw with routers all that much, just lets ours do its job, and have firewallls on each PC as well.

BTW- I am right about PS and GPU, just that is very rare, and Like I said, that usually happens when you upgrade components (especially GPU) and PC doesn't have enough power to run properly. Call up a graphics card designer and tell them your PC shuts down after about 2-5 mins of operation and that you just installed one of their graphics cards, and they will say the samething. I am not calling you a dick, just don't think I am BSing these answers pls. I am on this forum to help, which is why I said it COULD be one of THREE problems, and then I said that it was MOST LIKELY as VIRUS... So, my other 2 solutions are probably not correct.

DarkBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:22 PM   #23
In Runtime

yes, random shutdowns are usually power supply bad, inadequate, or ram. but never will you get a message that says your computer will shut down in 59 seconds because of this. It just quits, or reboots. you are giving a answer that doesn't match the problem for which he described. Also, a software firewalls best function is blocking unauthorized programs from accessing the internet, not blocking intruders or worms. So in this case a hardware firewall like a router is the best choice.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:27 PM   #24
BSOD

Correct you are sir. Finally, we agree! But McAfee's FW blocks worms provided you have their antivirus also, and intruders provided you have their privacy service as well, but the firewall alone does not. Router + Software firewalls= BEST
Old 12-09-2004, 11:40 PM   #25
In Runtime

so stop using norton and start using mcafee?
rymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:45 PM   #26
BSOD

i did, its up to you, but fact is, Norton's Firewall 2004 or 2005 suks big time. their antivirus is fine, but I think it pops up to much and annoys the crap out of you, so I would say switch to McAfee, but it is up to you.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:25 AM   #27
In Runtime

norton firewall does suck, but I don't like anything about McAfee...just my opinion.
I'm not a big fan of software firewalls at all.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:38 PM   #28
In Runtime

what about that free avg anti-virus, is it anygood?

right now on one comp im running ad-aware6, spybot s&d, webroot window washer and norton 2004

on the other comp its the exact same but im using mcafee internet security 2005 instead of norton.

is this a good setup?
rymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:42 PM   #29
In Runtime

avg is great at detecting viruses, but lacks in removal
I'd stick with norton
Old 12-11-2004, 03:56 AM   #30
Solid State Member

It's very simple. you've got a virus on your pc that prompts that command. When you see that command copy it and type it in a windows search. It'll come up with a thing explaining the virus. And a way to get rid of it. Also it'll tell you how to turn off the option which prompts your pc to turn off. I know cause i had the same problem a few months ago. I finally downloaded adaware and everytime i tryed a scan around midway it that prompt would come up and my pc would shut down. I finally looked it up and switched it off. But i can't remember how to do it. So look it up and everything should be ok. That is of course you haven't figured it out yet.

God Forsaken is offline   Reply With Quote