xp install question?

lolop

Solid State Member
hey guys,

i recently tried to install windows xp on to my presario 7360 using a restore

disk for a dell i used to have. iv'e got it all installed but midway through the

bootup the computer just locks up on me. any ideas why this would happen:(

My best idea would be the dell CD is trying to install dell drivers and it's causing an issue. DO you have any other XP CDs you could try?

no unfortunantly

would me using a dell restore disk be the reason its not working becasue i'm trying this on a compaq

Yes, more than likely that is the problem you are having. Try acquiring an XP regular XP disc and reinstall.

If your good with computers,there are a few methods of stripping down the recovery disc to a normal disc,I have done this once before with a mitac restore disc.

how could i strip down the recovery disk to make it a normal xp disk?

youd have to copy the files off the disc to your pc. remove all the drivers and stuff and then burn it back.
im not 100% sure how that would be done, but id personally just "get hold" of a copy of xp "legally" ;)

If you do get a regular xp disc make sure you download the drivers you will need for your presario computer. Some of them might not be on the xp disc. I have had that same problem in the past where i install xp but then i was missing drivers that weren't on the disc.

Back
Top Bottom