Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-18-2004, 05:23 AM   #1
Default XP Doesn't recognise My CD Drives

I need a bit of help...This problem has been bugging me for ages now...and I have asked many people about it...But no-one seemed to have any useful/helpful answers .

I am currently running ME. I wanted to upgrade to XP Home so i upgraded...It updated successfully...After the setup it prompted me to restart My computer...Everything from there ran fine...It came onto the XP Welcome screen...and I logged on to my computer.
From here Everything was fine...Apart from windows did not recognise my CD and DVD Drives.......YAMAHA CRW8824E and ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X MAX....Why is this?

FuRgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

You Upgraded from Windows or did you Format and Install XP?

A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
In Runtime
Default Re: XP Doesn't recognise My CD Drives

Make sure that you have your drives AUTO or Manually reconized in your bios. Some Drives are not atapi compatable and need drivers. Most do not. A reboot will sometimes show drives which were not there at first. Make sure the jumpers on your drives are set correctly for the ide port they are connected to. If your harddrive is on ide port one and set as a master, if your cd or dvd is connected to the same cable it must be set as a slave. If you have a seperate cable for you cd drives one unit must be set as a master and the other a slave.
When In Doubt-Format and start over
Gary Graefen is offline   Reply With Quote