XP Bootup Crash

combo1

Beta member
After a power cut where I live cut out my XP computer, it now crashes on the first BIOS screen with the American Megatrends logo on bootup. It does not respond to anything, except the power off button. However, after having switched it off, if I switch the computer back immediately afterwards or within several minutes of doing so, it boots up through successfully and works perfectly. It only crashes on startup after being switched off for a while. Is it a power issue...?

Thanks in advance

Try this.
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.

per said:
Try this.
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.

Thanks, I will try that

per said:
Try this.

Unfortunately it didn't work

do you get any error messages on this BIOS Screen in like red text? Maybe the power cut destroyed RAM or something.

Can you access your BIOS?

Yeah, try changing the power supply.

Remember that this if a problem has occured, it might start up better and boot the computer up after being recently turned off since the capacitors still store power, and so it only needs a little kick.

Its the only thing that seems could cause the problem after you saying this:

"However, after having switched it off, if I switch the computer back immediately afterwards or within several minutes of doing so, it boots up through successfully and works perfectly"

I honestly do think it is that, so i'd try changing it, and if it works, then great :)

As for power supply, I'll have to look into it. The current PSU is 400W, and only a few months old.

technoman said:
do you get any error messages on this BIOS Screen in like red text? Maybe the power cut destroyed RAM or something.

Can you access your BIOS?

No error messages, and no responses to keys, so I cant access BIOS.

Yeah, a bad power supply can appear at any time.

I'd get a new one, or if thats still under guarantee, exchange it :)

Back
Top Bottom