Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default xover or router

Hi everyone this is my first time on here so be gentle. I have two computers and i would like to conect both at the same time to my ntl box........ do I need to buy a router or can I just use a cross over cable. I have heard so many storys i dont know what to do. please advise.

sheila45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: xover or router

A router would be easier. A crossover cable just simply connects the two pc's to one another. Basically what you do is connect one pc to the ntl box and connect the other pc to the first one via the crossover cable. The downside to this is that the main computer 1) has to have 2 network cards (not a big deal really) and 2) has to be on for the other pc to access the internet.

Whereas, if you have a router, wired or wireless, it's your choice really, you connect the router to the ntl box and then each pc has an independent connection to the router, and an independent connection to the internet. It's a lot easier and not hard at all to setup. The downside though is that routers can run from $50-$100, plus if you go wireless you have to buy wireless network adapters for each computer, which can run as much as $80 apeice as well.

Hope I helped clear some things up for you.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy
A router would be easier. A crossover cable just simply connects the two pc's to one another. Basically what you do is connect one pc to the ntl box and connect the other pc to the first one via the crossover cable. The downside to this is that the main computer 1) has to have 2 network cards (not a big deal really) and 2) has to be on for the other pc to access the internet.

Whereas, if you have a router, wired or wireless, it's your choice really, you connect the router to the ntl box and then each pc has an independent connection to the router, and an independent connection to the internet. It's a lot easier and not hard at all to setup. The downside though is that routers can run from $50-$100, plus if you go wireless you have to buy wireless network adapters for each computer, which can run as much as $80 apeice as well.

Hope I helped clear some things up for you.
i would say get a router, then you will be able to add onto your network at a later date, but everything tommy said is fact so dont rule out the Xover cable, it totally depends on you
bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullzi
i would say get a router, then you will be able to add onto your network at a later date, but everything tommy said is fact so dont rule out the Xover cable, it totally depends on you
Yeah, a crossover cable would work fine for you if your computers are close together, if you have a tight budget or you don't mind leaving one or both pc's on all the time (or at least when you are on the net).

So it's really your choice. But I would reccomend a router as well. It's just easier.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila45
Hi everyone this is my first time on here so be gentle. I have two computers and i would like to conect both at the same time to my ntl box........ do I need to buy a router or can I just use a cross over cable. I have heard so many storys i dont know what to do. please advise.
x over would be cheap but as people have said above you will need to keep the computer connected to the internet switched on at all times . also you may want to consider that if you have a laptop a wireless router will be easier .another good thing with a router is if you get a new computer then you can just add it to the set up
Old 01-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
Beta Member

thanks for your help. I only wanted the second one to be on when I'm on mine and someone want to surf the net so I think the cross over will be fine and cheaper. thanks again.
sheila45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
Golden Master

Quote:
thanks for your help. I only wanted the second one to be on when I'm on mine and someone want to surf the net so I think the cross over will be fine and cheaper. thanks again.
Ah, alright, well glad we could help

Old 01-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #8
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
glad we helped and if you need any help setting up the x over just ask