XBOX 360 -or- PC!?

Well, to me, it just sounds like you got lucky. Like I said, we arent all equal. Your gene pool is better than others, which gives you an advantage in life.
You have no idea how many PC shops open and close. Especially around here.

My friend sold his computer. AMD Athlon X2 5000+, 2GB OCZ DDR2, a decent motherboard, OCZ StealthXStream 500W, XFX 8800GT, 500GB HDD, with an 17" LCD monitor, all for $400, and people were trying to talk him down with Price. Took a while to sell it too.

That's exactly why I'll never have a physical shop. For one, I'll be headed to college, second I would never be able to make ends meet. My computer work is NOT my primary source of income--I'm lucky if I make $150 a month. I wish it was my primary job, but it's not. There are always people who need their computers fixed, but most of they time they either haven't heard of you or aren't convinced you are any good and go to Geek Squad or crap like that.

As for the whole gene pool stuff...everyone's got talents and good things about them...you just have to find out what they are. I wouldn't necessarily call myself prime from the gene pool. I'm a pretty big guy, am lucky as hell to have the girlfriend I have, and have only a few close friends. My dad was addicted to drugs before he met my mother, and has now been clean since. His dad was abusive, but he changed and was never that way with me. As for my mom's side, her dad was a major alcoholic and never home...he's been long gone for a while. I've overcome a lot of adversity...stuff just wasn't handed to me.

Things are not always what they seem.

......EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB $70 Free Shipping $15 Rebate. My friend has this, plays cod5 1280x1024 on high no aa, no af 70+fps.

Hmmm, where's the operating system (in that whole $300 computer parts list you made)? :D OMG a GeForce 9500GT? Why not a 8600GT? According to this it's better but is it actually somewhat 'degraded'? :confused: (LOL does he have like an Intel Core i7 and 8GB RAM or something?)

Anyway, I read ALL you guys' replies. And I have decided to make my own computer (or hope for the best deal :cool:). Oh and like I said my monitor is a COMPAQ 7600 (all I know about it) and my current computer is a terrible COMPAQ Presario SR1103WM.

Oh and one MMO I'm looking forward to is Stargate Worlds. I here it will have the same system requirements as Unreal Tournament 3. And I'd like a computer that could play Crysis on mid-settings I guess (or whatever a GeForce 8600GT can get me)

EDIT: Oh and I have 6GB hard drive left on my current PC
Btw, that one case you mentioned... does it come with stuff like sound card, cd/rw, usb ports, or whatever? Oh and where's the mother board does it come with the case, er what? :confused:

And how do I know if my monitor, keyboard, mouse are compatible with those stuff? Call me a retard but I have no idea about those compatibility issues. ;)

i vote for the 360

with a $300 computer, you will need to upgrade fairly soon after building it, costing even more money

instead go buy a 360 with you brother, and get a couple games for roughly the same amount

There is no way for $300 you're going to be playing Crysis on mid settings if you need a full system (new OS, DVD drives, etc) because it all adds up so fast.

Some of you guys need to be more realistic. He doesn't have the money for a gaming system. He clearly will be disappointed with just playing older games - he wants to play Crysis and something like UT3?

You say there are other costs for the 360, but the PC is ten times worse.
PC games are almost as expensive as 360 games.
A good wireless adapter (if needed...) is still around $50 for the PC.
An OS is $100+
A DVD drive is $25
Speakers
Et cetera et cetera...that's half his $300 right there.

Obviously a PC is the ideal choice, but not always practical.

Aarrgh! After researching more, and making my own 'virtual PC' by adding up a bunch of PC parts from www.Newegg.com, the price blows me! Like $485 WITHOUT even a GeForce 8600GT (GeForce 8400GS). And a 'virtual PC' I assembled at www.TigerDirect.com using a barebone, came out to $425! Too much for me! How am I supposed to get the money!!!!!!!!!?????????????? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

There is no way for $300 you're going to be playing Crysis on mid settings if you need a full system (new OS, DVD drives, etc) because it all adds up so fast.

Some of you guys need to be more realistic. He doesn't have the money for a gaming system. He clearly will be disappointed with just playing older games - he wants to play Crysis and something like UT3?

You say there are other costs for the 360, but the PC is ten times worse.
PC games are almost as expensive as 360 games.
A good wireless adapter (if needed...) is still around $50 for the PC.
An OS is $100+
A DVD drive is $25
Speakers
Et cetera et cetera...that's half his $300 right there.

Obviously a PC is the ideal choice, but not always practical.

That was the point I was trying to prove all along.

Aarrgh! After researching more, and making my own 'virtual PC' by adding up a bunch of PC parts from www.Newegg.com, the price blows me! Like $485 WITHOUT even a GeForce 8600GT (GeForce 8400GS). And a 'virtual PC' I assembled at www.TigerDirect.com using a barebone, came out to $425! Too much for me! How am I supposed to get the money!!!!!!!!!?????????????? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thats how life is. I know it sucks, but you will have to deal with it, and put aside the idea of building a computer till you have a way of getting more money. Maybe ask for more money on your Birthday, or wait till Christmas to see how much your parents would give you. Or Wait until you are old enough to get a job.
Either way, make sure you stay in school, listen to your teachers, do your homework, and dont do drugs.
Then in the end, you wont have to worry about your financial status as much.

Go to a friends house who has a decent PC and play some CSS and some WoW and see how you like it. Go to another friends (or hell, even the same friend if he is rich) and play some 360 and check out some of the games for the 360 and see which one you like better.

I got my parents' 2GB DDR2, athlon 64 x2 (3800+, I think), and mATX motherboard to upgrade my parents' computerfrom a Celeron 2.54 GHz. The new hard drive was out of the trash and we kept the existing DVD burner that I bought. All for under $100 from newegg with one rebate. If you want, pm me and I can hook you up with a legit copy of xp very cheap (maybe even free).

Of course man you are going to get mostly the opinion of "get a pc" because hey this is a PC lovers forum (no problem with that <3)

Ask around a few forums
Cheapassgamer.com is a great place for deals and they can help you decide also

Depends what you would see yourself using more

Deal with it. Just because your too young to go get a proper job doesn't mean you can't make money, you just aren't trying hard enough.

Back
Top Bottom