x2 questions

in a way, how are they going to know you overclocked it? If your not stupid enoguh to overclock it too high, you won't damage it anyway like mentioned. So when it does wear out, whats to say overclocking did it? :s

Overclocking does raise the power consumption of the component considerably, though, right? This means you need a power supply that is up to the job.

Keeping everything at stock speed means less noise, less money spent, and no worries, assuming the components you bought came with warranties.

Anyway, here's 2 articles which should help you compare the 4800+ to the 3800+:

3800+: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-x2-3800.html

4800+: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-x2.html

Kage said:
in a way, how are they going to know you overclocked it? If your not stupid enoguh to overclock it too high, you won't damage it anyway like mentioned. So when it does wear out, whats to say overclocking did it? :s
is that not illegal?

Probably :) But I'm with Kage on this on because I've known friends who have overclocked their cards, and then asked for a replacement when say the heatsink broke. Now the heatsink probably wouldn't have broken due to overclocking, but they still got the most out of their card, and still got a replacement. Bear in mind though, they weren't overclocking to the point where they needed a top standard heatsink, they still used stock just to get that little bit extra out of the card.

But I have heard of cases where they can detetc if you have overclocked the card, and then no replacement is given. :(

Hehe, thanks.

I don't think its illiegal though. I mean if you overclock it sensibly, and it broke just from standard use, and something was actually wrong with the card afterwards (not caused by overclocking), then why shouldn't you be able to replace it? Who says the overclocking did it, when it might not have been?

I guess if you've overclocked it stupidly, there might be burn marks, etc or something, but sensible overclocking wouldn't do that, and it could just die anyway.

Overclocking though is proven safe if done in that way. As long as you hjave knowledge in it, nothings wrong.

Oh no, AMD knows if you OC the processor. Believe it or not, AMD processors and INtel processor have a "brain". They look at what you are doing to them, and record that data into a small area known as the black box (it is about 2Kb of data area). When you change the FSB of your motherboard... guess what, it keeps that data for 3 months... but only 3 months. They WILL KNOW.

Really? That seems rather kewl, but horrible in the same way, hehe.

Most of the time, you'd send it back to the comsumer though, like a shop, and not to AMD or Intel though.

Kage said:
Really? That seems rather kewl, but horrible in the same way, hehe.

Most of the time, you'd send it back to the comsumer though, like a shop, and not to AMD or Intel though.

Exactly, but if you do direct replacement and have OCed, GOOD LUCK, those scanners see that in a a second!

hehe :p Anyway, what I was saying was, what happens if you did overclock, but that wasnt the cause of the crash. Would they know then? Like maybe it was faulty in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom