Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-10-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to killzoneman0
Default x2 questions

i am planning to get an x2. i plan to use it for gaming, making games, and multitasking. which core and speed would be the best? (I plan to OC)

which processor is best without oc'ing?

which processor is best with oc'ing? and is it better than the ones not oc'd?

thanks for your help

killzoneman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
G.
BSOD

Default Re: x2 questions

i hate to recomend amds but there the best for ocing

G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Golden Master

The 4800+ X2 is the best:

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/...i=97150,00.gif

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/...i=97161,00.gif

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/...i=97162,00.gif

Also vary depending on system config.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
In Runtime

I just thought I'd add that the 3800 Dual Core from AMD can be overclocked to 2.95GHz on air cooling And it's about quater the price of the 4800, but if money is not object, then I agree with TRDCorolla. The 4800 will overclock to the high heavens and above (as long as you have appropriate cooling and other hardware
Intel i7 930 @ 3.6 GHz || Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (SATA 6GB/s/USB 3.0) || XFX ATI Radeon HD 5970 || OCZ Vertex Series 120GB 2.5" SSD || OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz Tri-Channel || OCZ Z-Series 1000w Modular '80 Plus Gold' PSU || Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos PURE Black
the deceived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #5
G.
BSOD

OCing isnt good for the hardware
Old 09-10-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by neochivers
OCing isnt good for the hardware
Once again, I beg to differ: SEE THIS COPIED POST:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opteronix
Overclocking a chip CAN have consequences if not done properly. HOWEVER, if done correctly, there are no adverse side effect whatsoever. Let me explain:

When OCing a processor, you are increasing the amount of electrons moving across a charge plate and silicon resistor in a given period of time, measured in Hertz (Hz). Thusly... this requires the multipliers or data BUS speed (also known as Front Side BUS) to be set higher. Also, voltages need to regulated properly in accordance with silicon resistance levels and dipole arrangement (aka, the core design of the CPU). Now, taking into account that 88% of processors use G54 silicon wafer design (the exception being ARM processors made by Texas Instruments), that design implements a voltage "slosh" level. Basically, when you increase the voltage, the electrons "slosh" in a pit near a charge plate or diode, causing a leak (aka HEAT). HOWEVER, with proper cooling the dissipates the heat quickly and efficiently, then the entropied heat is a void issue at that moment. Now, at a certain point (usually a very high one), voltages can damage the internal silicon diodes and wafer structure of the chips. This is RARE, and requires PURE STUPIDTY when altering the CMOS settings or a massive jolt from the PSU. Overclocking does not blow up CPU, over watting does, which happens when you are stupid and don't know how to build a PC. If Ocing destroys your power supply, then that means you were foolish and didn't buy a large enough PSU in the first place (being that OCing only uses an additional 5-15watts!).

AMD doesn't do OCing! Their chips are manufactured at levels and clock multipliers set properly. If anything, Intel simply raises the multiplier and creates exorbitant amounts of heat with their poorly designed Prescott 31 pipeline long piped icky nasty piece of GARBAGE.
Opteronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
G.
BSOD

wa?
Old 09-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #8
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by neochivers
wa?
Ok, basically, if you keep your processors voltages in check and heat under control, there are NO SIDE EFFECTS or bad things caused by OCing.
Opteronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:02 AM   #9
In Runtime

Yeah, I think I'm right in saying that companies purposely put their hardware at well below it's top capacity to prolong it's life, and well Overclocking just unlocks all that extra potential! Like Opteronix said, as long as you kep it under control, then it shouldn't have any adverse affect (except maybe invalidating your warranty).
Intel i7 930 @ 3.6 GHz || Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (SATA 6GB/s/USB 3.0) || XFX ATI Radeon HD 5970 || OCZ Vertex Series 120GB 2.5" SSD || OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz Tri-Channel || OCZ Z-Series 1000w Modular '80 Plus Gold' PSU || Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos PURE Black
the deceived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

So, components are in the shops are ready to be pushed higher than set by the makers, since these chips should be able to go that much higher without damaging them.