WTX power supply with AT motherboard

ali_g12

Beta member
Does any one know if I can use a WTX power supply with an ATX motherboard?

I think all the rails are there apart from the -5v. If anyone has done this then please let me know. Is there a way of swapping over the connectors?

I have already investigated the pin outs here:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsMotherboard-c.html

However my Xilence XP420 does not seem to conform to this pinout.

Before anyone suggests getting a new PC - I need this PC with its ISA slot to run an old bit of music gear I have.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

Your comparing the ATX to SFX connectors which are similar.

However according to the information in this link ATX and WTX pin-outs are totally different.

So you cannot, and I wouldn't try to, use a WTX PSU with an ATX motherboard.

What music gear do you want to use?

Hi Remeniz,

I have an Otari Concept elite mixing desk which operates with a Pentium 120mhz server via an ISA comms card. Without the server switched on the desk does not operate.

Unfortunately the server is rather loud in operation and I am looking at acoustic solutions for the power supply and hard drive.

I'm not too bothered about the pinouts as I was thinking you could just snip the connector off the WTX and strip the wires to put in the AT P8 & P9 connector. Obviously care would have to be taken that all the rails are in the right place.

Thats a nice desk you got.

Ok so you want to use an ATX power supply with an AT motherboard?

As you said you can re-wire the ATX PSU to the P8 & P9 but you would then have to manually switch on the ATX PSU by shorting the green lead with ground.

Be careful with the older AT PSU's, you turn these on by switching the live mains to the unit.

Are you sure it's the PSU that's making the noise?

Back
Top Bottom