wtf win xp wont boot

borat_sagdiyev

Golden Master
i come back from vacation and when i select windows xp in the bootloader it just goes to a black screen. nothing else. can anyone help?

Leave it at the black screen for a while, see what happens. It kind of sounds like the GUI boot is turned off. Can you boot into safe mode?

didnt try booting into safe mode, but i know about the "no gui boot" thing, and its disabled, so i should be seeing the boot screen. i left it there for 10 minutes. even if i do get into safe mode, what will that do?

It will determine whether or not it is the whole installation, and whether or not you can still get into Windows.

alright, i cannot even access the f8 menu for windows xp, and i get the motherboard speaker clicking when i hit any keys.

If you have a bootloader, try booting into another OS. Does that work? If it does, try repairing the installation for Windows XP with the CD. If it doesn't, well then you have even more issues. Let me know if you can boot to another OS.

Well, all I can suggest is to use your Windows XP disc and try to repair the installation. With all the OSes and files, it sure beats reformatting. Let me know if that works for you.

Back
Top Bottom