Wrong HD size!

BobbyDRZA

Baseband Member
I recently finished building a new computer that has a Biostar Geforce 6100 mobo and a Western Digital 320GB HD. the problem is that in the bios, the drive is recognized as a 320GB and I left the HD cylinders and all that stuff on auto detect but when I went to install WinXP, the unpartitioned space showed a HD with 134GB instead. I thought maybe once the installation of Windows was finish that it would be ok be it isn't. What could be the problem? Should I manually set the cylinders and etc?

There's a limitation in XP as it will only see 134GB of your 300GB HDD. If you install SP2, it will be able to recognize the full size of the drive and you'll be able to format/partition the remaining space on the drive.

If you want to use the full 300GB as one partition, your could use Partition Magic to merge the two parts together, or you could make a slipstreamed XP and SP2 CD to reformat and reinstall XP.

Ok I installed SP2 and I went in my computer to the HDD properties and it is still showing 134GB, Like I said my board is recognizing the drive on the post screen correctly, it is just winXP won't show the right amount of space.

Go to My Computer > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. Click on Disk Management. It should show your drive there as with 134GB and something along the lines of 160GB or so of unallocated space. You can right click the unallocated space and format it there.

Back
Top Bottom