would this work

Prodigy, you are correct. I just figured newegg would be cheaper when I said that, but I was wrong!

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention that there's no way you can pull off $350.

You need an HDD and a DVD drive still. That'd put you well over $350 with that graphics card alone. So what's your budget that's a feasible number?...since obviously this won't work anyways.

It's too low. You want to look to spent at least $500 for a decent gaming computer. My first one was around $600 and took me a while to build. I only bought parts when they were on sale. I'm sure you could pull off $500 easily. $350 is way too low.

I just don't get why you are so set on barebone kits....you just don't get the value/quality that you get when you choose your own parts. For instance, that hard drive only has a 16MB cache and the RAM is only DDR2-800. Not to mention that you can get so much more for your money. I threw together something for you and others here can let you know how it looks. It's in your price range.

To everyone but the OP: Please help me out here. I'm NOT an AMD guy but with his budget it seems like it might be the best value. I'll also throw together and Intel build, though, and we'll see what price point we are at.

MB: ECS 780G

CPU: AMD Phenom 9600

RAM: OCZ 1066 (Someone may recommend the G.Skill at the same price point, but I've heard OCZ OC's better....)

GPU: HIS ATI 4870 (Does this out perform the previous posted 9800 GTX+ ?...I could've sworn it does..and it's not much more.)

HDD: Seagate 750GB w/ 32mb cache

DVD: LG 22x

Case: Raidmax Smilodon w/ 500w PSU (I personally have this case, and w/ PSU it's a great value...you'd never need that 750w listed in the barebones kit...at least not now)

If you add all that up with rebates it comes to $529. That's one hell of a computer, and way better than the one you listed, for $529! You'd be back to around the price of that barebones if you stuck with the nVidia card listed vs. the ATI one I prefer (depending on what others say...).

And for the intel build:

MB: Gigabyte P45

CPU: C2Q Q8200

Everything else the same=$625

But I'm thinking the AMD will have similar performance and better bang for your buck.

RAM: OCZ 1066 (Someone may recommend the G.Skill at the same price point, but I've heard OCZ OC's better....)

GPU: HIS ATI 4870 (Does this out perform the previous posted 9800 GTX+ ?...I could've sworn it does..and it's not much more.)

Too bad hard drive cache doesn't even matter all that much. Do you even know what the cache does? It's meant for files smaller than the cache. The GPU he is getting is around the price of $120. A lot cheaper than a 4870.

I guess 25 buckaroos is more in your book than it is in mine--besides, I mentioned he could just stick with the one he picked out anyways.

And about the whole cache thing...yes, I know what it does...but why limit yourself anyways? If you can get a 32mb and fall within the price range, why wouldn't you.

You didn't really aid in answering any of the real questions I posed...but whatever, I guess. Just trying to help him get a little better performance for his money--that's what the forum's for.

Back
Top Bottom