Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Would like to buy a new laptop this new year

Hello friends,

Well I would like to buy a new laptop for my office work as i m really bored with my old PC..

As many friends said to buy a Dell but i can't spend more money this new year so i m planning to buy a mini laptop.

As i have read news here about Samsung N148 Plus Notebook
and it looks really nice for my office.

Should i go with this samsung laptop or any other option ?

jimmydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Site Team
Default Re: Would like to buy a new laptop this new year

I wouldn't go with that netbook. Reason being? It comes with DOS installed, and not Windows. While I read that it also comes with a Windows 7 installation disc, there's no CD drive, so you have to create a bootable USB stick with Windows 7 from the disc and install off USB. Not too difficult, but would not recommend for a business that's wanting to use "out of the box". I would go here. This site shows netbooks on Newegg.com (if you're located in the States) that come with Windows 7 Professional. You can also just search for Netbooks on Newegg with Windows XP, but the choice is up to you.

Humans are the only creatures that won't live up to the their potential. Give everything your all. When you die, die on E.

So I ask you, what do you intend to do now?
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Baseband Member
Send a message via MSN to supernerd
Default Re: Would like to buy a new laptop this new year

I would have to agree with "InfectionZero" about the netbook, except Windows will not install on a USB stick anyway. Only on an NTFS maybe an EFS not a FAT, exFAT, or a FAT32. Only Winodws 98 is capable of that.

As for Windows 7 Professional for a netbook...Not as good as it sounds. While netbooks are getting better, many just aren't powerful enough to run Windows Home Premium or higher. Windows 7 starter seems much more appropriate. I installed Windows 7 Starter on a Toshiba NB205 netbook and it runs just fine. Keep in mind that the sole purpose of a netbook is to browse the internet and maybe listen to some music, hence the name"NET...BOOK". While they are cute and portable, they're no substitute for a full size laptop. BUT...I would recommend HP netbooks. I installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my friend's HP Mini 110 and he's been satisfied with it ever since. Oh that's another thing, Linux has a few pretty nice operating systems designed SPECIFICALLY for the low profile hardware in a netbook. Kubuntu Netbook Remix is another nice one. But of course that's just my opinion from my experience.
supernerd is offline   Reply With Quote