Which would have been more beneficial?

Half Evil

Golden Master
Well, When I got my dell, (yes dell, and for everyone that just wants to say dell sucks, well stay outta my thread) at anyrate, the dell, came standard with the 2.8ghz Intel Pent D. And I didnt think that many apps utilized hte dual cores. But now I know differently and what happens with the dual core. So that dual core, or my pent 4. 630, 3.0ghz. Because that was appearently the step up. Now I kind of regret not getting the dual core. What do you guys think? Because also, there was a 3.0ghz dual core, and then, a 3.2ghz dual core. So yeah.. I wish i went for the 3.0 dual core. But that was alot of extra money. SO just what do you guys think.

I would've went for the dual core... more future proof and dual core is showing to be pretty useful nowdays, with normal applications even.

Yeah, but at the time I didnt need to do it :(

But, how much difference would it have made overall?

Also, thats downgradeding from the single core, with HT, at 3.0, to a dual core, at 2.8

ArrizX_MuziK said:
Yeah, but at the time I didnt need to do it :(

But, how much difference would it have made overall?

It would make a big difference in the future once more and more applications use that other core.

ArrizX_MuziK said:
Also, thats downgradeding from the single core, with HT, at 3.0, to a dual core, at 2.8

Yeah, but dual cores here... different.

First off, a Pentium D IS NOT a dual-core. It is a double core. The Pentium D doesn't directly talk to the other core, like a true Dual-Core X2 would, instead it uses the FSB to communicate to the other CPU, or core. Thus making it a "double core", because it's just two cores on a single processing package, and they don't directly communicate to each other. Tom's hardware sums it up quite nice. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/10/intel_moves_from_dual_core_to_double_core/page2.html

[EDIT] Also, having a double core CPU is much better then a single core Pentium 4. Considering a Pentium 4 Prescott uses HT, which makes it think it has an extra logical processor, as oppossed to the Pentium D, which has two physical processor, thus making it a more efficient processor. :)

Back
Top Bottom