Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-15-2015, 01:20 AM   #1
Golden Master
Send a message via Skype™ to BK_123
Default Worth Upgrading Compaq CQ60?

Hey guys. So my Mum has a friend who is an eldery woman in a retirement home. She has Compaq CQ60 laptop that she likes to play games that you can download off sites like Big Fish Games, The laptop is a bit old and runs slow and I am thinking of trying to breathe some new life into it. Now its running Windows Vista 32-bit and only has 2GB of ram but is capable of taking 4GB. I am wondering if it is worth upgrading this laptop and installing a new version of Windows such as Windows 7 or 8.1?

Compaq Presario CQ60-419WM Notebook PC - Product Specifications | HP®*Support

See all my PC spec's here https://bit.ly/1lWAJhz
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:16 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Worth Upgrading Compaq CQ60?

I would put Lubuntu on it for her. Now, now, i know what you are thinking. Linux for an elder woman, Why?
It's actually not far from windows if you set it up for her and make all the shortcuts she needs and bookmark her favorite websites. I have set up 2 old computers for 2 elder men, they seams to like it. I sat down with them and showed them how and where to click.

MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 512GB - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Worth Upgrading Compaq CQ60?

Yeah, it seems like the elderly are better at switching to linux than some of the younger people I have met.
There is almost never troubleshooting issues, and I have never seen a time when someone with little computer knowledge gets a linux system infected. (No, I am not saying that it cannot happen, I am simply saying that I have never seen it outside of a test setting.)

Also, because its based on Ubuntu, she will have plenty of free games ect to download from its Software Manager. I would recommend that you teach her to make great use of that.
Working on new projects and expanding our horizons. Come by and see what we're up to now. www.multirotorplatforms.com/forum.php
Draygoes is offline   Reply With Quote