Wooo! Linux again *says hello to tux*

Originally Posted by Lord Kalthorn
If you want stuff to work - get Windows!

Bahahahahha, Thanks for the laugh LK, Awesome joke!!! No seriously, I mean there's just such deep sarcasm in that that it's a truly good joke!

Slackware 10 is very good and powerful, but you need some Linux knowledge to operate it.

It wasn't a joke. It was completely and utterly true. Few things, if anything, doesn't work with Windows unless it was specifically made not to.

Right... There's a huge difference between "working" and working right, without the computer crashing and lagging up.

It's hard to debate on this topic in two threads. If you're in this debate, then debate in the Mozilla topic. LK, see you there later on I suppose.

camers said:
HAH! i tried 6 times on each drive. It wouldnt even bother installing when i had an array, so i had to break the raid 0. Then it wouldnt take my sata drivers and said windows has them then ocne finished it wouldnt boot up without some gay errors about scsi drives etc
User error != windows error...

you can't get it to work ni windows, and can't get it to work in linux either...

so either something is incompatible or something you are doing is wrong. certainly not the fault of windows, LK is correct in his statement that if you want something to work, plug and play (lpug an play means that you take it out of the box, plug it in and it works. -windows has this, with extensive driver support, and if the driver is not found there is easy access to install drivers) as much as I love linux, (and I do really love fedora core 2 and debian woody) there is just no equivelant in linux to the add hardware wizard, in fact there is no equivellant to any wizard. whilst it is not the publishers fault (rather it is the fault of the hardware house) - there is very little driver support in linux for most hardware.

Somebody said that there is a difference between working and working well. the thing is with Linux, most of the time you only get olod drivers, or dtrivers somebody has hacked together themselves by exaimination/trial and error,
who ever wrote the statement about working and working well is correct, however they should eralise that without current and up-to-date manufacturer released drivers the hardware will not, and does not perform to it'd optimumn levels.

There is a difference between hardwaer working and hardware working well, and there is just not the manufacturer support for the hardware to work well in linux in most cases.

Well windows doesnt like VIA drivers, linux was happy to take them on. So im chuffed, it works. And i notice the speed so i trust the drivers!

not realy, it claims windows already has the drivers and kicks the floppy drivers away. So its kind of an xp fault

lack of working manufactures drivers is not a software vendor problem, it is a hardware vendor problem.

I realise it's frustrating not to have drivers when you need them, but the lack of working drivers is not the fault of windows.

Back
Top Bottom