Wont recognize C drive

berrabbit

Beta member
I have a Compaq that the hard drive is corrupt. When I reboot the system doesn't see C drive. I put a new Hard Drive in and have the same results. My BIOS does not have Autodetect.

Sounds like the controller may be bad. So BIOS doesn't see it at all? Can you "User Define"? What make and model is it?

pctechmike said:
Sounds like the controller may be bad. So BIOS doesn't see it at all? Can you "User Define"? What make and model is it?
Compaq Presario 4910, 266mh. It will see the old bad hard drive but not the new on. I have tried every way to set the HD jumpers and cables but it still doesn't see the new HD. I checked and there is no BIOS upgrade for it. Sometimes when I reboot it shows my two CD drives as F and G and it might say I have a HD in D. If I try to run FDISK or reload WIn it reports NO HD.

Is the controller built into the mother board or is it the small plug in card on my MB . How do I go about finding another one ? I have two bad hard drives that the BIOS will see but both are corrupt and not load DOS or WIn. I have a ned IDE hard drive that no matter where I set the dip switches it will not see. Also when I do a FDISK it rerports no physical HD. And my two cd s show up as f:and g:
Compaq 266 mh with Win 95. Model 4910. I went to Compaqs site and did all they suggested like resetting the BIOS after power down. It will see the old bad HD but not the new one. When I put the new HD in it spins for a seconds and pauses then repeats this.

Back
Top Bottom