Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Won't display on monitor, monitor fine.

My computer has recently stopped displaying anything on the monitor, naturally i thought this was a connection problem and played around with the cable to no avail. I then tested the monitor with my laptop (using now) and it brought the picture up fine.
Everything pointed to the grpahics card so I ordered a new one (Cheap, GeForce 6200 512mb AGP). After installing tha today i still no result and I am completely lost with where to begin now.
There are no obvious problems that i can think of, and if anyone has experienced this before or has an idea that could solve this it would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Bandit

arrsebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: Won't display on monitor, monitor fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrsebandit View Post
My computer has recently stopped displaying anything on the monitor, naturally i thought this was a connection problem and played around with the cable to no avail. I then tested the monitor with my laptop (using now) and it brought the picture up fine.
Everything pointed to the grpahics card so I ordered a new one (Cheap, GeForce 6200 512mb AGP). After installing tha today i still no result and I am completely lost with where to begin now.
There are no obvious problems that i can think of, and if anyone has experienced this before or has an idea that could solve this it would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Bandit
First of all welcome to Computer Forums,i think you problem is maybe your new one does not like the computer. Check on your computer's company website.

Mooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Golden Master

What exactly was wrong with your old graphics card? Did you check to see if all your components are secure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooky View Post
First of all welcome to Computer Forums,i think you problem is maybe your new one does not like the computer. Check on your computer's company website.
Please ignore this person's response.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
No. Just no.

Try reseating RAM. If that doesn't work, try new RAM.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
BSOD

Quote:
I mean as in not compatible.
Mooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
I mean as in not compatible.
I don't think he's that dumb.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

me neither but i hope he gets it working
ilovepcs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Wizard of Wires

Do you get anything on the disply at all? If you can get to the bios check that the primary display is either pci-e or agp as the case may be. If it has an onboard vid connection enable it and check that.
It's odd that two cards do the same thing unless something in the slot is not working or has been disabled in the bios.
Or could be the motherboard took a dump.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
Beta Member

Thanks for all your responses.

I'll just elaborate on the problem and how it arose.
I switched my computer on and I got the standard boot-up sequence then all of a sudden the monitor didn't want to display anything even though my computer was making all the noises it should be.
My monitor has a standby mode where when nothing is being sent to it, I get a little amber light. When it is receiving stuff this light goes green. Ever since Iíve got this problem it has stayed amber and displayed anything.
"Ahh, the monitor methinks" says I. As I said I plugged the monitor with the same cable into my laptop and it worked fine and as expected.
There is nothing visibly wrong with my old graphics card but Iíve had it over 2 years now and I thought perhaps it had blown a capacitor/any random component. It was all I could think off and am still confused at what the problem is.

My new card is definitely compatible, like my old card it's AGP. I have 2 sticks of 512mb ram that I wouldn't expect to be the problem due to there being 2 sticks but I took them out and reset them anyway. Again no result.

Again any thoughts in how to resolve this would be appreciated
Many thanks

Bandit
arrsebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger

So you can't even get to the point of being able to log into your comp?

Did you update your graphic card drivers recently by any chance (if so it could be a bad driver, and if not then you might need to), and can you boot into safe mode without your monitor going blank?

|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote