Wondering about Dimension E521

Jerrad

Beta member
I have an old Dell Dimension E521 and am wondering if i can upgrade it enough to at least run World of Warcraft on better than low settings.
It's Windows XP, AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, 2.00 GHz, and 2 x1gb RAM sticks. Can i get more RAM (since it has two more slots for RAM sticks but have found out that it is only good with 1gb ram sticks) if that would solely help? and/or Is there a Graphics card i can get that is compatible with this desktop Without having to upgrade the Power Supply? My power supply says it's 305w.
It has a PCIe x1 slot, would this work? Newegg.com - Zotac ZT-60607-10L GeForce GT 610 Graphic Card - 810 MHz Core - 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM - PCI Express 3.0

It also has a PCI slot, would this work?Newegg.ca - SPARKLE PCI Series 700038 GeForce 8400 GS 256MB PCI Video Card

I'm not entirely tech savvy, i only know a bit here and there, So if anymore info is needed please let me know, and if this Desktop is simply not good enough for WoW (that's sad) please simply say so :)

run this to see whats the max memory size and speed your motherboard will accept.

Regarding the gpu, yes the zotac would work, but not as good as it can due to your motherboard pcie version probably being pcie2.

Please ignore the Sparkle card, that one is not going to help.

Don't be sad. World of Warcraft had a very noble strategy (which I agree with completely) of accommodating with older technology so that more people can play together. But they deviated from this strategy to compete for better graphics, better bling blings.

IMHO, your computer is very close to a complete upgrade from OS to hardware. So you might also want to consider this into your evaluation, i.e., instead of finding upgrades suitable for this desktop, what would you save and/or spend instead with a new motherboard and power supply, etc.

You'd be better off building a new pc that would be able to run wow, You could build one better than this oldie you currently have. If you are just wanting to upgrade your current pc you could have a hard time finding a suitable mobo upgrade..

I've had one of those E521's. It's oddball Dell cooling design makes it good for web cruising and light office work but not much else. The case is not ventilated for anything else except for the CPU. In other words it's all inhouse custom built for Dell and not really meant to be altered as in upgrades.
Build your own. You'll be glad you did.

Back
Top Bottom