Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Wirelss that goes through basement?

Hi all. A friend pointed me to this site. I know this question should go in the "Networking" portion, but I noticed nobody was in there and the last post there was yesterday so I didn't want my question to go unnoticed. Apologies.

I would like to know if there is a good wireless router that I can set up in my basement that will reach the other floors of my house. My current one doesn't seem to have the range/power. I constantly disconnect which wasn't a problem when I had the access point on the middle floor.

I have searched around and everyone keeps mentioning range boosters. I would prefer to just buy a new router with the range capable of going through the basement ceiling/main floor. There has to be some on the market that can do this...no??

Thanks in advance for any help with this. (Running XP)

milkmoney11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Golden Master
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Wirelss that goes through basement?

Yeah, just buy a new, better router. Linksys or D-link are a couple of good ones.

The router really should be mounted up high and towards the middle of the house so the signal spreads throughout the house better. You may have a problem with the signal going through the floor with all the insulation and flooring that might be there.

When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Wirelss that goes through basement?

OP, is there ANY WAY that hard wiring would be feasible? If so, you could try leaving your existing setup where it is, using a port to run hard wiring to the basement and then setup an access point. Wiring is cheap, in case you wanted to know. You can get a 100' section for about $15-25 depending on what sales/pricing is currently going on.
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote