Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Wireless Routing at School

I am at a college and I am trying to set up a wireless router in my room because I own both a laptop and a desktop. I have a linksys WRT54G router that is currently working as a switch. However, I would like to be able to access the wireless function. I have been told that you can't do this because of a conflict with the DHP servers. However, I was wondering if there is any way around this so I can enjoy wireless.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike
Default Re: Wireless Routing at School

Can you not use it as a router? The WAN interface is going to grab an IP from the school network, and you should be able to use it as a router, and have your own IP addresses and wireless network setup. The beauty of this is, that you can be online with both at the same time, while the school only sees traffic coming from one IP address. Matter of fact, I think I'm using the same router. My router is assigned an address by DHCP from my ISP, and my internal network is assigned IP's by my router- should be no different at your school.

pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Baseband Member

For some reason it won't let me access the internet during the setup process where it tries to get an IP address... can I maybe figure out the IP assigned to my wall jack and use that?

Update - ok I have it half-working... It will try to connect but be unable to get the network address. I have the router setup for Static IP with a DNS 1 of 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP server feature disabled.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Try setting DHCP and DNS to automatic
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

go to 192.168.0.1 and switch the wireless signal on.

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedroptozero
For some reason it won't let me access the internet during the setup process where it tries to get an IP address... can I maybe figure out the IP assigned to my wall jack and use that?

Update - ok I have it half-working... It will try to connect but be unable to get the network address. I have the router setup for Static IP with a DNS 1 of 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP server feature disabled.
Perhaps the college has a security block installed?

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote