Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Wireless Router

hello ppl i need help. i dont want anyone to use my internet connection as it gets slower but if person has wireless adapter how do i stop them using my internet? coz if they hav networking cable u can disable it but am not sure about wireless card can any1 plz help me!!!

myturban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack
Default Re: Wireless Router

go into the settings of your router and there should be a security/encryption section, go in there and set up WEP or WPA.

blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

or disable ssid broadcasting.
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

There are a bunch of things you can do. WPA and WEP work most of the time, unless the guy trying to connect has hacking software. Combined with Mac filtering and your better off. Disabling SSID would work great in addition to any of the other things mentioned, but not by itself.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Read this to help you set it up http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july28.mspx
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Solid State Member

Cheers Ppl!!
But Wot If The Other Guy Goes To Router Settings And Enables It Again, Is There Any Way I Can Prevent This?
Or If I Disable It B4 He Goes Wold He Be Able To Go In The Settings Because They R In Local Intranet!
myturban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

If you have WPA and Mac filtering on as well, and the password is not default, odds are he will just give up before he gets in. There is too much to crack, and he would need to know that the network exists to begin with.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

You dont mention if your using the wireless connection to connect yourself. If your not using wireless then just disable it all together in the router settings.

If you are using wireless, then enable WPA encryption and use a good password on there. Also change your default username and password on the router.

You could also turn off SSID, but there are plenty of programs that can still see this.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
In Runtime

The Service Set Identifier (SSID) is the name of your wireless network. By default, most WAPs broadcast the SSID. This makes it easy for users to find the network, as it shows up on their list of available networks on their wireless client computers. If you turn off broadcasting, users will have to know the SSID to connect. Some folks will tell you that turning off SSID broadcasting is useless because a hacker can use packet sniffing software to capture the SSID even if broadcasting is turned off. That's true, but why make it easier for them?
That's like saying burglars can buy lockpicks, so locking the door is useless. Turning off broadcasting won't deter a serious hacker, but it will protect from the casual "piggybacker"
Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 AM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

All you need to see a SSID is something like netstumbler, and its not hard to use.

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote