Wireless router

CompNEWB1

Solid State Member
Hey, can anyone help?? as can see i am a computer newb :p , i have recently bought an intel celeron 2.7 ghz 480w barebones system ( i dunno if thats good) I want to be able to run my family computers DSL to my new computer, and i was wondering what type of wireless router i should get, ive heard that linksys were good but id rather ask people that know what there talking about.. any help??

this was the perfect time for a "your mom" joke, but seriously linksys is good and so is d-link. you can't go wrong with either of them, but don't get anything else. also make sure the card you buy is either linksys or d-link. they just make great wireless stuff. Also, to save money, get a 802.11b router and card instead of 802.11g. i have really not noticed a difference and its certainly not worth the extra $100+

For the internet, 802.11b is all you need. The internet runs at less than 10mbps and 802.11b is 11mbps ;P G is 52. Unless you plan to do a lot over your network(games, transfer large files, etc) B is all you need...

I have a Wireless Accesspoint(just wireless features minus all the router features) and a card fro my PDA from d-link. The Access Point is working fine, but the card for my PDA has been giving me problems. My dad also got a card for his laptop that was D-Link, and it never worked... He has a Netgear now that has worked fine, but the stregth of it isn't close to that of my D-Link...

i have a d-link router and i can honestly say it sucks. every week or so it refuses me access to the internet. i have to go through a right rigmarole to get it back working. i had a technician come out to look at it, but he could not solve the problem. i rang d-link who gave no useful advice. when its running its fine, but the random shutdowns drive me mad.
woz

if you dont mind havin the DSL comp on for you be able to have it, you can set up an 'Ad-Hoc' network. All ya need is 2 wireless antennas in the back of the pc's and thats it. No need for a router. But if you'll want to use the net when the comp is off, get a router :)

I like LinkSYS. I have one of both "B" and "G".

The range on the "G" is a better and doesn't get degrade in the sun. I noticed that when I was out in the backyard on a sunny day my "B" would sometimes lose it's signal.

Internet speed...no difference. I do notice a difference when I play games on the "B" router, a little higher ping on the "B" wireless when compared to the "G".

Back
Top Bottom