Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Default Wireless Network

I have my gaming rig upstairs in my room, and my modem is in the room directly below mine. Currently, my rig is hooked up via wireless, and when I play online games, I usually lag.
I was wondering if theres anything I can do to increase my connection without connecting via ethernet?
This is what I am currently using
Wireless G USB Adapter

Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Wireless Network

What kind of connection speeds are you getting and how is the signal strength?

From what I have heard, USB connections don't run as well as PCI wireless adapters. maybe you could look into one of them.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

The signal strength is on 5 bars (Max), and my home speed is 1.5Mbps. I don't know how fast I am actually going when I am gaming online though.

Got any that you recommend? preferably the cheapest of the ones you recommend. I remember it was quite hard for my friend and I to install one, we didnt quite get it on because we felt like we were going to break the board.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Old 06-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
The signal strength is on 5 bars (Max), and my home speed is 1.5Mbps. I don't know how fast I am actually going when I am gaming online though.

Got any that you recommend? preferably the cheapest of the ones you recommend. I remember it was quite hard for my friend and I to install one, we didnt quite get it on because we felt like we were going to break the board.
It might not be wireless.
If you play a game like Battlefield 2 with dedicated servers, it might be your ping.
The further away you are from where the server, the higher your ping is.
The higher your ping is, the more milliseconds it takes for the game to respond to your input, like shooting a guy or getting into a car or etc.
The more it takes for the game to respond, that is what lag is, that is just a suggestion.
Whyfly?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

That's a very good suggestion Whyfly?? and one I completely overlooked.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I lowest ping servers I find are 80, and are dedicated servers only, and I join those. There were couple times where it shows a picture of an Ethernet unplugged (CoD4). Then there's the lag where I would be one place, and another place the next, or I keep shooting for about 10 seconds just to find out I died 10 seconds ago.
I'm assuming that's high.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
I lowest ping servers I find are 80, and are dedicated servers only, and I join those. There were couple times where it shows a picture of an Ethernet unplugged (CoD4). Then there's the lag where I would be one place, and another place the next, or I keep shooting for about 10 seconds just to find out I died 10 seconds ago.
I'm assuming that's high.
80 isn't too high, but it can be high.
I play around 43, or even 21.
Those are average.
Sounds like you have high ping.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Omnipotent One

80 isn't too bad. I've seen worse. That's some major lag you have there.

Are you running Vista by any chance? Vista + Wireless + 60 sec lag spikes = SOLVED
Old 06-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nah, I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
80 isn't too bad. I've seen worse. That's some major lag you have there.

Are you running Vista by any chance? Vista + Wireless + 60 sec lag spikes = SOLVED
I agree, I've played Battlefield with 243 ping, and it wasn't too bad.

10 second lag is crazy though. Are you exaggerating to prove your point, is it like 4 or 5 seconds?
Because that is more realistic as 10 seconds is just crazy.