Wireless Network

nstepho

In Runtime
Hey,

If I have a laptop with a wireless network card in it, and I buy another one to put in the desktop, can they be networked straight together?
What I mean is that like if you had 2 computers and you wanted to network them, you would need a switch as well or a crossover cable instead, but can the 2 wireless cards just link straight together?

Sorry, I've never used wireless before.

Thanks,
Nick.

You would need a wireless router for it to work I believe. Thats how mine is setup anyway.

Example:
wireless_network_option1.gif

A pictures worth a thousand words and the one from above shows just that. The only thing missing in that pict is the wireless adapters for each hardware used. Either that or they all have built in wireless capabilities (most likely). There's also a broadband modem stuck between the Internet and the wireless router.

No, there is no way to network them straight together using wireless adapters. The picture above says it all. You need a wireless router, and then you can network them together as well as share internet.

Well, you can have them connect directly to each other with an ad hoc connection (device to device connection). But I don't think this counts as being on a 'network'.

What you can do, is set the default gateway on the laptop, to the computer's ip address, and set the computer to share drives, whatever you want.

Set the computer's ip address to say 192.168.0.123
Set the laptop's ip address to 192.168.0.124 - then set the default gateway to 192.168.0.123.

They can be wired directly together, you dont need a router at all. You can use adhoc mode and connect them that way

Back
Top Bottom