Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-30-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default Wireless Internet Cutting in and out

My internet has been cutting in and out, this happens about every 5 mins or so and then it reconnects. The weird thing is I haven't changed anything. So far i have tried repairing the connection, reconnecting manually, moving the actually unit around, and i did all my spyware and virus scans. Any other ideas on how to fix this??

If this post has helped you please add to my rep.
VirtualDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack
Default Re: Wireless Internet Cutting in and out

I had the same problem when I first set up wireless on my PC, Is this a PC or laptop? if its a PC then go to your routers website and try updating the firmware, if you are using a wireless LAN card try updating the drivers,
Make sure your router is high up and clear of any obstructions so there is nothing that could be blocking the signal.

blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
In Runtime

Thanks for the suggestions, but that might be a little hard as i got a whole new problem. First of all yes it is a pc, but now it won't connect at all. I search for the network connections, find mine, enter the password and try to connect but now i get an error message saying that the network is no longer in range, even though the only thing seperating the two points is a floor and maybe 15 feet of distance. I have had everything the same for the last year and a half and i just starting getting this error messages.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

You may have a faulty router I think you should try it on another computer or try connecting to the net with another modem, can you connect via a LAN cable to see if that works, If it does then your wireless card maybe faulty.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
In Runtime

Well i don't have another computer that i could try it on, and i don't have a lan line either. This is the the error message i get,

"windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of avaiable networks, and try to connect again"

How can it be faulty though? It can still find the network just not connect. And i haven't done anything that would make it faulty ex. dropping it

Old 07-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

It might be your ISP server is down for repair or an upgrade, have you tried contacting them to see if it is them , who is your ISP? go to their website and see if there help&support have any remedies for this type of fault, the only other thing that springs to mind is that its the wrong password.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
In Runtime

I checked both my isp provider, and my password. Both are working fine. Any other ideas??

Old 07-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to kyleman999 Send a message via MSN to kyleman999

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
It might be your ISP server is down for repair or an upgrade, have you tried contacting them to see if it is them , who is your ISP? go to their website and see if there help&support have any remedies for this type of fault, the only other thing that springs to mind is that its the wrong password.

When windows says it can't connect to the network its referring to the local network and not the ISP connection. If it was the ISP connection, the network would up and running ( if your going through a router ), but no internet.

Try reseting the router. Press the little button on the back of it with a pin for about 3-5 seconds, and it should reset, and reset all of its settings. When I got similar error messages I just jacked up the signal voltage. Now I get full signal even in the basement!
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton (running @ 2.21)--Asus A7N8X --1gb (2x512) DDR PC3200 --200gb WD 8mb cache 7200 RPM--40gb WD 2mb cache 5200 RPM --XFX GeForce 6600GT AGP 8x @ 588\1.14 --Creative Audigy2 7.1 ZS--CoolMax 400 wat PSU-- --Volcano 12+ CPU Fan--Overclocking Kit--Logitech Z-5300e's
kyleman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:47 AM   #9
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleman999 View Post
When windows says it can't connect to the network its referring to the local network and not the ISP connection. If it was the ISP connection, the network would up and running ( if your going through a router ), but no internet.

Try reseting the router. Press the little button on the back of it with a pin for about 3-5 seconds, and it should reset, and reset all of its settings. When I got similar error messages I just jacked up the signal voltage. Now I get full signal even in the basement!
Yep, in Vista if the ISP is down but the router works it'll just say Access: Local only.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleman999 View Post

I see your point, so he will need to reconfigue his router I had not thought of that.