wireless internet

dbone

Baseband Member
i am still new to wireless internet. i connect at work and school. recently i have not been able to catch a signal. i did not change my settings, so I am not sure what the problem is. I know the signal is fine because of other users not having a problem. I am not sure where to go to check my settings because as I mentioned, I am new to wireless. all i know is i got my laptop and it connected when I picked up a signal.
i have a dell inspiron 6000 with dell wireless 1450 dual band WLAN Mini-PCI card

anyone have any ideas?

ok.. i see no one understands what the problem is. i have got the laptop to connect to a signal. I am currently downloading a couple torrent files. in order to fo this i must have a signal and be connected to the internet, correct? well, when I try and open my browser (firefox) it times out and does not connect. even trying to update my virus or spyware programs I get messages saying they can not connect. why is this? i know I am connected. I have a signal on my signal bar, and am downloading torrent files. anyone know?

would turning the modem off and back on help?

thats how i get my internet to work when it doesnt connect

Are you doing this from work and school as you mentioned above? If it's only happening at work or school (one or the other), then you need to contact the network admin there. Maybe your IP address got dropped or something.

This is happening at work and at school, at random. Right now I am at work and it is working very slow. I am still constantly getting a "timed out" message when firefox is trying to open a page. I have tried IE and I am having the same problem. As I stated before, I have a signal and I am connected, I am d/l right now at 53 kb/s. Just cant figure out why no browser.

can you ping gateways at both places? use a command prompt and type ipconfig ... it should give you gateway ip info ... ping it.

BTW ... shouldnt this be under Networking/DNS?

Back
Top Bottom