WinXP install problem - USB Keyboard

I've been scouring the interwebz for an answer and have come up with nothing. What version are you installing? XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2?

The only thing I can think of is to try a different keyboard. You are using a wired board correct?

Yes, the keyboard is wired: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 V1.0 and is plugged into one of the USB ports at the back of the case - directly into the motherboard.

The OS (with the "F8=agree" problem) is Windows XP Pro SP2.

I guess that this isn't the common problem that I thought it might be, I appriciate everyones help...

setishock, I am now going to reboot and check my settings against yours, thanks.

I have a DP35DP board and I think the bios may be close enough to help out.
In my boot set up I have:
Optical devices Enabled
Removable devices Enabled
Network disabled
USB boot Enabled
Emulation Enabled
Boot USB devices first Disabled
USB mass storage emulation Auto
EFI boot Disabled

The only differance that I see is I have boot to network enabled. I'll try changing that and see if I can't scrounge up a different USB keyboard to try tomorrow. At least I got to play with my new system. It seems Vista isn't bad if the machine is fast...

OK, now I really feel stupid! It turns out that the F8 key only works with the F-lock engaged. I decided to give it one more try to see if any other keys could make a difference. With the F lock on the F8 key works...

[Edit] I did a little searching as to what the F-lock key is for and found that it's a Microsoft thing. Apparently to enhance MS Office applications. When "F-lock" is on, the function keys work normally, with it off you get Office enhanced features. Wikipedia lists them if you are interested. I checked a bunch of keyboard at work and found some have F-lock keys, some don't. I also noticed that there are several websites with information to disable the F-key. Well, you learn something every day![End Edit]

Time for WinXP!

Thank you everyone, and don't forget the F lock!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom