Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #11
Daemon Poster
Default Re: WinXP install problem - USB Keyboard

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
I've been scouring the interwebz for an answer and have come up with nothing. What version are you installing? XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2?

The only thing I can think of is to try a different keyboard. You are using a wired board correct?
Yes, the keyboard is wired: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 V1.0 and is plugged into one of the USB ports at the back of the case - directly into the motherboard.

The OS (with the "F8=agree" problem) is Windows XP Pro SP2.

I guess that this isn't the common problem that I thought it might be, I appriciate everyones help...

setishock, I am now going to reboot and check my settings against yours, thanks.

Originally Posted by setishock View Post
I have a DP35DP board and I think the bios may be close enough to help out.
In my boot set up I have:
Optical devices Enabled
Removable devices Enabled
Network disabled
USB boot Enabled
Emulation Enabled
Boot USB devices first Disabled
USB mass storage emulation Auto
EFI boot Disabled
The only differance that I see is I have boot to network enabled. I'll try changing that and see if I can't scrounge up a different USB keyboard to try tomorrow. At least I got to play with my new system. It seems Vista isn't bad if the machine is fast...

OK, now I really feel stupid! It turns out that the F8 key only works with the F-lock engaged. I decided to give it one more try to see if any other keys could make a difference. With the F lock on the F8 key works...

[Edit] I did a little searching as to what the F-lock key is for and found that it's a Microsoft thing. Apparently to enhance MS Office applications. When "F-lock" is on, the function keys work normally, with it off you get Office enhanced features. Wikipedia lists them if you are interested. I checked a bunch of keyboard at work and found some have F-lock keys, some don't. I also noticed that there are several websites with information to disable the F-key. Well, you learn something every day![End Edit]

Time for WinXP!

Thank you everyone, and don't forget the F lock!

Russel is offline   Reply With Quote