Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Winxp

Hey,

I bought my comp over a year ago and it has been running pretty shit lately after i put some new hardware in..

I want to re-format and yes i have already re-formatted form a previous date but would like to just reformat everything..

The problem,I bought my computer from pc world (yes i know big mistake but this was my first PC ever) when i got my comp it was already installed with winxp and didn't come with a cd so is there a way to re-format without buying a new cd?

Thanks.

shankles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Winxp

Not really, unless you use a pirate. You might have a partition on the HDD with a backup on, but dont know coz ive never dealt with a pc world computer.

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Solid State Member

if you bought it over a year ago it might have something like a "PC Restore" on the HD (which might have been wiped out when you formatted last time). Look through your manual for something like that. Its kinda like bringing the computer outta the box for the first time.
utvols20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

well it must have a legal key then. just get a copy of xp from the torrents. burn onto a cd, and use the legal key from the pc (you might have to use a program like http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml to find your key)
Old 03-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

you could try removing software you dont use anymore,or do a defragment of you harddrive even try "ccleaner" a free program to clean up your drive.then once you have that try using a image software to back up your hardrive eg ghost so you can mess about with your O/S knowing you can restore it back to your original state if it goes wrong, the added bonus is you will never have to install xp again and you can ghost back as many times as you want
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se
well it must have a legal key then. just get a copy of xp from the torrents. burn onto a cd, and use the legal key from the pc (you might have to use a program like http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml to find your key)
Yep, downloading the XP ISO if you have a legal key is legal, so I would personally do that and install it with your personal key, then your honky dory

Matt
Mattyl110792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
Golden Master

im sure you can find a good torrent if not then urmmm......i dunno really. the pm system is rather nice here dont u think.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyl110792
Yep, downloading the XP ISO if you have a legal key is legal, so I would personally do that and install it with your personal key, then your honky dory

Matt
how exactly does this work...? if you download the XP ISO and burn it to a disc, will the disc be bootable...? and do you just extract the ISO, or are there other steps...?

just wonderin'...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine
how exactly does this work...? if you download the XP ISO and burn it to a disc, will the disc be bootable...? and do you just extract the ISO, or are there other steps...?

just wonderin'...
You would use nero or similar program and burn the image. And the disc will be bootable providing its an .ISO of an original XP disc.

@ shankles, you could run into problems using your original key as there are various keys for various versions of the OS, so you would need a matching key.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
Golden Master

well if its got xp home atm then its common sense to download an xp home iso. that way it should all be fine