Winxp

shankles

Baseband Member
Hey,

I bought my comp over a year ago and it has been running pretty shit lately after i put some new hardware in..

I want to re-format and yes i have already re-formatted form a previous date but would like to just reformat everything..

The problem,I bought my computer from pc world (yes i know big mistake but this was my first PC ever) when i got my comp it was already installed with winxp and didn't come with a cd so is there a way to re-format without buying a new cd?

Thanks.

Not really, unless you use a pirate. You might have a partition on the HDD with a backup on, but dont know coz ive never dealt with a pc world computer.

if you bought it over a year ago it might have something like a "PC Restore" on the HD (which might have been wiped out when you formatted last time). Look through your manual for something like that. Its kinda like bringing the computer outta the box for the first time.

you could try removing software you dont use anymore,or do a defragment of you harddrive even try "ccleaner" a free program to clean up your drive.then once you have that try using a image software to back up your hardrive eg ghost so you can mess about with your O/S knowing you can restore it back to your original state if it goes wrong, the added bonus is you will never have to install xp again and you can ghost back as many times as you want

dude_se said:
well it must have a legal key then. just get a copy of xp from the torrents. burn onto a cd, and use the legal key from the pc (you might have to use a program like http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml to find your key)

Yep, downloading the XP ISO if you have a legal key is legal, so I would personally do that and install it with your personal key, then your honky dory

Matt

im sure you can find a good torrent if not then urmmm......i dunno really. the pm system is rather nice here dont u think.

Mattyl110792 said:
Yep, downloading the XP ISO if you have a legal key is legal, so I would personally do that and install it with your personal key, then your honky dory

Matt

how exactly does this work...? if you download the XP ISO and burn it to a disc, will the disc be bootable...? and do you just extract the ISO, or are there other steps...?

just wonderin'...

wol-va-rine said:
how exactly does this work...? if you download the XP ISO and burn it to a disc, will the disc be bootable...? and do you just extract the ISO, or are there other steps...?

just wonderin'...
You would use nero or similar program and burn the image. And the disc will be bootable providing its an .ISO of an original XP disc.

@ shankles, you could run into problems using your original key as there are various keys for various versions of the OS, so you would need a matching key.

well if its got xp home atm then its common sense to download an xp home iso. that way it should all be fine

Back
Top Bottom