Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #11
BSOD

Default Re: winword.exe trojan

It's the only result that states that and it is blatant advertising for their product, you can rush in and buy it if you like but you'll probably end up with more viruses than you started with lol

Deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:49 AM   #12
Baseband Member

AVG showed no viruses.

But are trojans viruses? I don't think so.

Will any of those programs remove winword.exe trojan?

ddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:52 AM   #13
BSOD

I give up, you're not listening.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:52 AM   #14
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Toby Send a message via Yahoo to Toby

Yes, viruses and trojans are the same thing... pretty much.

Edit: Winword.exe is Microsoft Word... it's legit. It's not a virus... and why it's using 50-70% of your CPU, I don't know. Only thing I can suggest to fix it is a system restore or a fresh install of Word.

Double Edit: This should help. http://my.brandeis.edu/bboard/q-and-...?msg_id=0000Ox
Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 AM   #15
BSOD

run the online scans, I bet they'll find nothing either, close word, outlook and any office apps you have open, any apps that use word as their HTML editor, remove office from the start up folder, tell me which one gives the result.

Also go into task manager and end the process winword.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddman
"Note: winword.exe is a process which is registered as a trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer from remote locations, stealing passwords, Internet banking and personal data. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system."

http://www.liutilities.com/products/...brary/winword/
You selectively quoted that page but left out the crucial text that is above your quote.

Quote:
Description:
winword.exe is the main executable for Microsoft Word, a word processing application which is bundled with the Microsoft Office Suite.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:56 AM   #16
Baseband Member

I opened up windows task manager and disabled winword.exe and my CPU usage went from 70 percent to 4 percent.

But i can't figure out how to disable it on startup, and i looked through hijackthis and msconfig...

Dang.... How do i remove this thing?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:14 AM   #17
BSOD

Uninstall Microsoft word, stop using apps that use word as their HTML editor for starters.

EDIT: You do realise that by "disabling" winword.exe rather than just ending the process word won't work now, don't you ??

Have you removed Office Quick Start from your start up folder?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:25 AM   #18
Baseband Member

I just pressed "ctrl-alt-dlt" and ended the process of winword.exe, and my CPU usage went from 70, to 4 percent.

I then loaded up microsoft word, and it loaded and worked fine, and my cpu usage is still at 4 percent like normal.

But i bet if i restart, the same damn winword.exe thing will be sucking back 70 percent.

I don't think i use apps that use word as their HTML editors.

What programs would those be?

I don't use outlook express.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #19
In Runtime

Listen guys, what he is trying to say, is that he does have microsoft office, but he also has a trojan as an .exe with it that is taking up his processor resources.

My suggestion is to do a search for the original program, go to start, search and search winword.exe, when you find it, delete the one that ISNT microsoft word or any of its affiliates.

Microsoft Word would NOT take up 70% of processor resources.

But the trojan that is WINWORD.EXE would, you dont need to uninstall microsoft word.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #20
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Toby Send a message via Yahoo to Toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by xguynameddavex
Listen guys, what he is trying to say, is that he does have microsoft office, but he also has a trojan as an .exe with it that is taking up his processor resources.

My suggestion is to do a search for the original program, go to start, search and search winword.exe, when you find it, delete the one that ISNT microsoft word or any of its affiliates.

Microsoft Word would NOT take up 70% of processor resources.

But the trojan that is WINWORD.EXE would, you dont need to uninstall microsoft word.
Yeah, I realise that now, it's just the website that ddman provided looked a bit suss to me, but since doing some Google searching I found out about the winword.exe trojan... The below link describes how to get rid of it.

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/anal...ojtorpidc.html

"Troj/Torpid-C is a downloader Trojan.

When run, Troj/Torpid-C copies itself to the Windows system folder as winword.exe and creates the following registry entry in order to run each time a user logs on:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
winword
<Windows system folder>\winword.exe

Troj/Torpid-C will attempt to close security-related windows, such as those generated by firewall and anti-virus applications.

The Trojan attempts to download and run the file "sys.exe" from twenty different sites. The file is downloaded to the user's Temp folder with a randomly generated six letter filename followed by the EXE file extension. "

Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote