Windows XP Question

dbone

Baseband Member
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. I am having a little trouble re-installing windows and removing the old OS from the system. (being in the Army did not teach me much about computers) When I load the OS system disc, it asks where I want to put the new version of Windows. I am used to my old laptop (a compaq) where after the disc is inserted it informs you that it will replace your old version and erase all files. That is what I am trying to do here. I want the everything off the computer. It comes pre-loaded with all sorts of junk I do not need. Anyone able to help me?

Just choose the drive you want to put it on and the it gives you the option in the next step if you want to format the drive choose that and there you have it

when doing this, it says that it is not smart putting two OS on one drive. this happened on my desktop a while back, and a friend helped, who is no longer around.

dbone said:
when doing this, it says that it is not smart putting two OS on one drive. this happened on my desktop a while back, and a friend helped, who is no longer around.

Well, when I format my hard drive, I put the cd in and it will say do you wish to format, in which you want to format the drive and then it will begin the install of windows.

if you keep going in your installation you should be able to choose to reformat the whole drive and get rid of the first installation.

When it asks you where to put the Copy of Windows, it also gives you some options for Formatting. I think, if you select the partition you are after, the one you previously tried to install Windows on, if you press D it will delete that partition, it could be another letter, the options are at the bottom of the screen. Then you press C, go with the Automatic Filling options and finish off. It will say the Partition is Raw, then click to Install Windows on it.

Back
Top Bottom