Windows xp and multiple computers.

fishfinder

Baseband Member
I just got a new computer and was wondering can i install windows xp from the same disc that i installed it on my other computer. When i try to install it on the new computer it says that the disc in not a valid windows disc. The new computer doesnt have an OS on it yet so it isnt doing me any good till i get this figured out. Please help.

Normally OS's that come with a system are not transferable meaning you can only run it on the PC you bought it with. Dell is infamous for that. I know my old Gateway XP disc works in anything but that was several years ago. I'm unsure when they starting doing it so you couldn't get it on another system.

The origional computer is an old hp pavilion. I bought Windows xp disc separete so no it didnt come with the computer. Any idea why it is only reconized on the computer it was installed on?

I cant even get that far. When i try to install it it starts then it quits saying the disc is unreadable or is not a windows disc. Since the computer is new is there anything i might have to do before i can install the OS?

you only need to set the bios to boot from the cd then it should load up and work :confused:
could be several things, a bad cd, a bad drive, etc.

Legally you cannot use the same disc and keycode. Illegally you can :D

Anyways, either the disc is damaged or your optical drive is damaged.

but you can use any cd any any compatible key to install it. to activate it is a different matter

Gateway XP discs work on any computer, That's what I did to install my OS.

Could be a bad disc :(

Back
Top Bottom