Windows XP message!

dbone

Baseband Member
I am having a problem on my laptop running windows xp sp2. When trying to open a folder (my documents, my music, my pictures, and many other folders) not programs, a message appears stating:

Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows

To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program

Name- Windows Explorer

Publisher- Microsoft Corporation

Close Message

After you hit close, the folder closes and you lose all work. I can still do work in the folder if I do not close the message.
I have tried many things and nothing seems to work. Thanks for the help.

can you even save? Cause that would be wierd. Have you scanned for viruses and trojans. Or maybe spyware. That could be your problem.

Hmm very weird, though I know how to fix it, or atleast help:

DEP (Data Executation Prevention) is a new feature, and basically stops something from running if it notices anything weird, and some programs for example don't like it, and I've heard some drivers don't either which could be the source of the problem if you've just updated:

DISABLING THE PROGRAM YOU THINK IS CAUSING IT:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips566.html

This link will help yuo select programs to use DEP on and ones not to, and so, if you have some idea to what could be causing it, disable DEP for that program.

HOW TO COMPLETELY DISABLE DEP IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE PROGRAM (switch on as soon as you know the program causing it):

Though if you have no idea what could be causing it, go here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;886348

It tells you how to temporarily switch of DEP until you find out the cause :D
and this will stop the crashing (it shouldn't be too dangerous switching it off, but it can cause some viruses to be able to access system files)

I hope this helps :)

Does anyone know how you could pinpoint where the DEP problem is coming from? (like an unupdated driver which could be updated so DEP can be switched back on?)

At least were half way there now :p

I have run spyware, trojan, virus, everything. I have even reinstalled windows and all necessary programs. I'm not sure exactly what is causing this. I can still save and use the folder as long as I do not close the message. So if I plan to organize some pics or my music folder, I have to drag the message to the corner of the screen and work around it.

Look at my post on how to disable it ^, okay? :)

Though I advise as soon as possible that when you find the driver causing it, run the first link, and choose the program to stop it from running on it, so you can turn DEP back on, yeah?

I hope it helps you :)

I am at work at the moment, but will try as soon as I get a chance to disable it. I checked out the links, so hopefully that will help. I appreciate it.

Though seriously take note of the fact that after you know what program/driver is causing it, you'll either stop thje program from running in the first link, or downloading an updated driver, and finally switching it back on to protect :)

Back
Top Bottom