Windows XP MC 05 Start Up Issue

bloo2

Solid State Member
I did a search for black screen, which is the problem I'm having, but have not found a similar situation. Any other hints would be appreciated.

Not sure about terms but when I say recovery that means reformating, and restore means reconfiguring to previous settings.

I've got an HP :( box with XP Media Center 2005 (with all current updates as of 1/18/06) installed, that was first turned on Xmas day. This problem first happened to me last week.

When I turn on the computer, I see a blue HP screen with the options of pushing F1 for BIOS options or F10 to perform a system recovery from my recovery partition on my HD. Next, the screen blacks out at the point when I normally see the Windows loading screen. I've let it sit for about 20 min with no result. I'll turn off the computer, let it sit for a few, and then turn it back on. I still see the blue HP screen, but next it says "Windows failed to load" and provides me with some options. I've tried "Restart Windows from last successful settings" but I still have a black screen. When I load any of the 3 safe mode options, Windows loads and I'm able to save, perform system restore, or even get online, but all still in safe mode.

I restored my computer through Safe Mode to the point when I first turned on the computer. I managed to get Windows to load normally, but I decided to go ahead and perform a complete system recovery.

During the time that I was having problems with the black screen, pushing F10 to perform a system recovery would go to a screen with a bar that would fill to 100% showing progress of the Recovery initiation and then go black. When I finally got Windows to load and got the recovery program to load completely, and I reformatted everything.

I spent the next few hours downloading all the driver updates and etc.

Today, I get out of school, turn on my computer, and see the return of the problem.

I've already sat on the phone for 2 hours with HP Customer Service, and while they were nice, they were useless. We ended our conversation with them trying to sell me a restore disc for $30. I don't think that the restore disc would do anything different from the one that I made when I turned on the comp (and that didn't help during the ordeal). I think this is a problem with the OS, but I'm not sure.

Today (1/19/06) I can load it into safe mode, and I've restored the settings to the day when I reformatted everything, but I still cannot get into the HP recovery program at boot up.

Once again, I've written a partial novel about my issues, but hopefully the info can help someone help me.

Hmmm; last week I had called HP about a recovery problem (my discs got scratched) and with out a hassle; they immediately sent me recovery discs. THe recovery partition on my HD was deleted so the F10 wouldn't work. Within 3 business days...it was at my door; i followed the instructions that came with it and now my computer is fine :D ...guess u didn't have luck with the free recovery discs. Is your computer still under warranty? You shouldn't have to pay.

I'll tell you something awesome I had with HP too.

My mom bought a $17 Multimedia Keyboard and it came with 4 HP recovery discs. It wouldn't boot from the CD as I had different stuff than anyting else. I put all the i386 folder, downloaded the 6-diskette boot for Windows XP Home fr and I tried it. That thing DID work!

Is your computer still under warranty? You shouldn't have to pay.

Yeah, it's got a 1yr, and I got it was bought like 2 days before Xmas

It wouldn't boot from the CD as I had different stuff than anyting else. I put all the i386 folder, downloaded the 6-diskette boot for Windows XP Home fr and I tried it. That thing DID work!

I'm sorry, I don't understand.

Call HP again and tell them your under warranty; no way you should have to pay for your recovery discs. And the discs they send you are different from the ones you are suppose to burn yourself.

Thanks, I'll get on their case.

Anyone have any idea about the problem?

Back
Top Bottom