Windows xp home services disappeared

pcfix

Beta member
I have a client computer here who had at first lost all their desktop icons, and we were unable to access the start menu nor move the taskbar. We did some registry editing and managed to get those back. But there are still things missing. For example, when i go into services there is nothing there, and they have all been stopped. Is there a good registry program that fixes xp pro and or home to the full extent?

That's a hard one. I'd suggest doing a System Recovery. (START-->All Programs-->Accessories-->
System Tools-->System Restore)

Yeah best i can say is to format the HDD or system restore...screwing around with the registry is boring and takes a long time especially if pretty near everything has gone screwy

Ugh man thats bad. all you can do is stick the windows home edition CD into the CD drive and format the hard disk.

If you NEED or WANT any of the information on your hard drive
attach it to another computer as slave or turn it into a external hard drive using a USB caddy converter and leech all the files out of it THEN format, that is of course if you have another computer to do that, use a friends or something im sure they wont mind :)

lol i am a computer tech and network admin. I know quite a lot. Just wondering if anyone has had the problem before and knew an easy fix. I know we can format and reload. That is easy.

well you can try to repair the registry by going to dos prompt & type regrepair...then when it's done, type regrepair/fix. I think that is it, i have not ever had to do this, but i found that out somewhere.

forgive me if it does not work, i am only quoting from memory.

Back
Top Bottom