Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default windows xp home edition question?

How do I go about reinstalling a pc that wont boot up fully. I turn this pc on and it does not load error message logon.exe failed to load i got this as a donated pc to mess wit and do not have xp discs jus a few the pc cam ewit back up delll installed progs
fax/moden disc
resource cd utilities diagnostics
let me know what i can do than x email me at trey420@comcast.net

altimator2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: windows xp home edition question?

Turn The computer on and put in the resource cd, that is if it is a recovery cd.

If its not and the computer doesn't have a separate recovery partition you wont be able to do it without windows disks.

If it is a restore cd that u have hit F8 on startup or F10 depending on your computer to launch boot menu and select the CD

Old 05-23-2008, 03:56 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

If all else fails then you can get a distro of Linux like Ubuntu and put it on that computer and then you will be set to go.

Cheers!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Sounds to me the best bet is buy a XP disc and to a complete format, as you bought it to play with it, wiping and starting again will give you a piece of mind that its fresh from scratch.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Depending on how old it is you could try to install one of the various distros of linux as someone has mentioned already. If it's really old go with DSL (damn small linux) and if it's not too old, Ubuntu will work fine.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
Depending on how old it is you could try to install one of the various distros of linux as someone has mentioned already. If it's really old go with DSL (damn small linux) and if it's not too old, Ubuntu will work fine.
If it can handle XP, then it can definitely handle Ubuntu...

You can borrow a copy of the XP disc, or torrent one (that is not illegal, it's illegal to use the same key or crack it), then use the key that should be on the side of your PC. If you don't have a key on the side or back of your system, then you have to go buy another copy...
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfrk611 View Post
If it can handle XP, then it can definitely handle Ubuntu...
I know that..but with his horrible spelling and grammar (not to thrash the original poster) I couldn't tell if he meant that HE didn't have any XP cds to use or the COMPUTER didn't have any XP discs to use...so that's why I said that. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Baseband Member

yes thanks for that...in responce to the question, dell might have installed some recovery program on it, like my vaio laptop, no disk required, press a unique combination of keys at startup and it takes you to the recovery program, go call them, find out.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpcbuilder View Post
yes thanks for that...in responce to the question, dell might have installed some recovery program on it, like my vaio laptop, no disk required, press a unique combination of keys at startup and it takes you to the recovery program, go call them, find out.
Yes and you can find that out in "My Computer" If you see two hard drives (two partitions) and you are sure there is only one physical hd...odds are one is the recovery partition....
Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
I know that..but with his horrible spelling and grammar (not to thrash the original poster) I couldn't tell if he meant that HE didn't have any XP cds to use or the COMPUTER didn't have any XP discs to use...so that's why I said that. Sorry for any confusion.

Its my bad on the confusion I was mad tired and didnt re read what i wrote...Anywayz Update for this question to clarify everythin

1st I turn the pc on and it gives me a error message that states "winlogon.exe unable to locate componet."
then syays"this application has failed to start because shell32.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem."

2nd I do not have any discs from dell and the computer i have does not have discs to clarify that. I want to know how to fix this problem to be able to use this pc again

altimator2001 is offline   Reply With Quote