Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Default Windows XP help

Hey last night i tried to reinstall xp on my computer. Everything was going well but after it had deleted the previous version of xp the cd popped out for no reason. So i just pushed it in again but then it started saying that it cant install it because there was no previous version of xp on that computer. When i turn it on now it says that its missing components and just tells me to restart it doesn't go to the windows screen at all. WHAT SHOULD I DO???!!?!
__________________

Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Windows XP help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin View Post
Hey last night i tried to reinstall xp on my computer. Everything was going well but after it had deleted the previous version of xp the cd popped out for no reason. So i just pushed it in again but then it started saying that it cant install it because there was no previous version of xp on that computer. When i turn it on now it says that its missing components and just tells me to restart it doesn't go to the windows screen at all. WHAT SHOULD I DO???!!?!
Sounds like you have the Upgrade edition of Windows XP.
This version requires an older one to validate it as an upgrade. If you have a windows 2000, 98, or ME disc lying around, try putting that in when it pops out the disc.

If you ever want to buy a Windows OS, always, repeat, ALWAYS buy it OEM or something. Upgrade baaaaad.
__________________

MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
A True Folder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,789
Default Re: Windows XP help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner View Post
Sounds like you have the Upgrade edition of Windows XP.
This version requires an older one to validate it as an upgrade. If you have a windows 2000, 98, or ME disc lying around, try putting that in when it pops out the disc.
Correct, the XP install needs to verify a previous operating system, any disk apart from Win95 will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner View Post
If you ever want to buy a Windows OS, always, repeat, ALWAYS buy it OEM or something. Upgrade baaaaad.
Upgrade disks are fine, they are better than OEM in the fact they are not tied to specific hardware as OEM's are and are transferable, I love them because they're the "bargin basement with full features" of Windows
__________________
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: Windows XP help

Upgrade versions will require an older Windows install disc from Windows 98 or higher. Don't bother trying with Windows 3.1 or 95. You might be lucky for 95, but I doubt that it will work.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0