Windows Xp Boot Problem

BlindBusDriver

Baseband Member
I recently bought a new computer (from cyberpowerinc) with only a formated hardrive, installed windows got all my drivers up to date got all the service packs. Everything was going fine, boot up would take less than 30 seconds. Recently when i got to turn my computer on it will get to the screen with the windows logo and then semi lock up taking nearly 5 mins to load the os. I usually hit the reset button, windows will say it had a failed boot i manually start it and it takes the usual 30 seconds. I most likely don't have virus's or spy ware b/c i use Avg full system scan daily and ad aware se regularly. My boot up processes are small to none (AVG, Sound Drivers, Xfire)

My system is:
1 Gig ddr2 ram, Amd 4200+, 7800GT, 160Gig Hard Drive, Generic Gigabyte Mobo

Its not the best in the world but there is no reason it should take 5 mins to boot, can anyone help or know what the problem is?

Is the 5 minutes during the windows loading screen or when logging on?

Also, apparently HijackThis is supposed to be good...and if you post a log of the scan here I think some guys maybe able to scan the log and see what it brings up...

Matt

Its around 5 mins during the windows loading screen. Whats hijakcThis? The log of the avg scan completely updated shows no threats at all...

Usually when XP is loading, and takes a long time to boot, it's usually due to a device driver. Have you installed any new programs, or devices? Did it start after the last program/device you loaded? If so, that's more than likely the problem. While hijack this is a very useful program, I don't think it's a spyware issue- due to a relatively fresh load of XP. Try booting in safe mode- this gives you text, line by line, of what is being loaded. Also perform a chkdisk. Has this computer been on the Internet much? If so, it could be a spyware issue. If chkdisk doesn't find anything, and safe mode doesn't show much, check event viewer- if nothing there, then download and run hijack this. Please note that it is very important to have a pro overlook what hijack this finds. I'm a pro, but not that familure with hijackthis- never have really had to use it, but I know what it's for. Post back if none of the above doesn't work.

My computer came with a 7300GT upgraded it to a 7800GT. Iv had the computer for somewhere around 3 months now and don't remember if the long boots came before or after the installation of the 7800GT ill go ahead and reload my mobo drivers, audio drivers, and gfx drivers and see if that helps. I use the computer for internet quite frequently but i do virus/spyware checks with AdAware and Avg so idk or think that it would be a spyware problem. Ill keep ya posted on the dirvers and safe mode trial though

Running a reg cleaner couldn't hurt. Also try using windows repair utility on the install disk (Boot from the disk and it should give you an option to repair a partition that has Windows loaded on it)

Maybe try using the rollback feature for the driver that you think is causing the problem. Post your hijackthis log here.

I loaded all my drivers and ran a chkdisk and tried the boot 4 times working good down to about 10 seconds windows loading screen... Thank you problem solved i believe

Back
Top Bottom