windows XP

FuRgy

BSOD
Hello,
I have a windows XP pro CD and want to install Windows XP on my computer. I am currently running Windows ME. If i was to just install Windows XP would i just put CD in and run setup? Would I lose any of my data, or my programs or will everything still be there once i have upgraded.

You will upgrade and normally not lose data-though you might lose drivers for some of your hardware.

You can also create a new partician and install xp pro along with your me and have two systems.

You will really be better off if you can do a "clean install" which means you will wipe everything off of your hard drive and completely start over with fresh version of Windows. You will have to find some way to back up your important files (external hard drive is my preference) before you format it.

The few times I have just tried to upgrade, I have had a lot of glitches down the road.

Hello,
Thanks for your replies Gary and Techserv. Techserv, i am very very new to reformatting/re-installing and how would I back up my Data. You see i have not got the original disks that i installed all my programs from ie.Norton Antivirus, Power DVD, Adaptec Easy CD Creator and adope. However I do have some CD's. My Internet CD and my games and printer CD's and stuff. I do not have a spare hardrive. Is there a way of backing up all these programs onto CD-R's?
Thanks.

As far as I know, the only way you will be able to reinstall your programs is from the installation discs. The only files you will really be able to "back-up" are files you have created (pictures, Office documents, etc.) If you don't have all of the discs you need, then formatting the hard drive may not be an option for you.

As far as everything else, yes you can use CD-R's if you don't have a lot of things you need to back up.

You could always just do the upgrade and see what happens. Sometimes it works fine. I would still back up as much as possible before doing this as well just in case something goes wrong.

if you didnt make a new partition you will lose all your data, because when you format your drive it erases everthing. If you do make a secondary partiton you will still need to download the drivers for xp OS.

Hi,
How would I make a secondary partition?
what about if i went to c:/programfiles/nortonantivirus and added ALL of them files to .zip with winzip and then save that to a CD-R???

computer_noob said:
Hi,
How would I make a secondary partition?
what about if i went to c:/programfiles/nortonantivirus and added ALL of them files to .zip with winzip and then save that to a CD-R???

Nope that won't work. When you install a program it puts files in a lot of other places. If you just copy the ones in the Program Files it won't work. The installation program adds registry keys, adds dynamic link library files to the Windows folders, etc.

As far as the partition, there is a program called Partition Magic that allows you to partition your hard drive after you have an operating system on it. I have used it many times and it is very easy to use. But that still won't help you with reinstalling your programs just your personal files.

Back
Top Bottom