Windows won't start!

Chardo

Beta member
Windows XP will not start on my computer. It hangs on the black Windows XP logo screen. Have to unplug computer to restart. I had previously run spybot, ad-aware, and malwarebytes. Also ran windows update (downloaded automatically) and updates to java and divx. So, I'm not sure what caused the problem.

I transferred the hard drive to another computer and installed it as a second drive, then backed up all documents to CDs. I believe this tells me the hard drive itself is ok and this is probably a software problem.

I am able to boot into safe mode. I tried restoring to a previous date, but that didn't fix the problem. Once I am in safe mode, what should I try?

you backed up all your files and documents right?

Try to reformat you system.

I suggest you to turn OFF some of your automatic updates softwares",)

I had the exact same problem one time. If re-formating doesnt help. I found out the motherboard is dying. I bought a new one and it solved my problem. The funny part is, one time about 6 months later i put that same motherboard in a different computer, and it worked. Put it back in the original machine, still worked.

As above, if reformatting doesn't help then it's a hardware problem somewhere along the line. However, I'm pretty sure reformatting would fix it.

Here's the crunch, I could spent days or weeks taking you through different system files, possible outcomes if they're missing or corrupt, how to restore them, what parts of windows do what and then there's a possibility it might be back up and running as it was before.

...or you could wipe it, reinstall it and have a squeaky clean new windows installation to boot in an afternoon at most.

So you can see why pretty much everyone is saying reformat!

Back
Top Bottom