Windows wont start :(

Flambo182

Beta member
Hi, I have a problem that I really need fixed. When I start Windows it goes through the usual boot sequence but the quits before loading windows with a message that says something like "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corupt: \Windows\System32\Config\SYSTEM" I believe the source of this problem is Registry Cleaner. I think it deleted this file. Now the message also tells me "You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM" So I reseted the computer and changed the boot sequence to read the cd drive first and inserted the XP disc. I did this and said "press any key to boot from cd" then I pressed some keys and it ignored me and took me back to the same message. For some reason I think the computer is ignoring me when I press the key. It just goes back to booting from the hard drive leading to this message.

I really need this fixed. I was just about to buy an MP3 player but now I cant because all my music is gone :(. I also have important files that I cant lose! Any help is apreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I got it to load the disk!! It was the USB keyboard causing the problems. Now I need to know how to restore or repair that System file....

put your windows cd into the drive, go to run, and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and let that run. it'll go through and replace any missing or corrupt windows files.

at the first screen you are propted to, press "r" to enter recovory counsil. it will ask for an admin password. if you don't have one set (odds are you dont unless you have pro) just press enter. press the number assosiated with the hard drive your windows install is on.

then you can type tings in like in command promp, but with more power. Start by doing to codes. first is "fixmbr" and press enter. it may ask if your sure you want to do this, press y.

when that is done, type "fixboot". Again, if asked if you wnat to continue, press y.

then run a check disk. there is a special version that can only be run in recovery counsol (doing it in command give you an error, i just tried it.) its "chkdsk /p" make sure you ahve the space between the k and the /. I've found this to be more thouro. If it doesn't work, do a chkdsk /r.

give this a shot and let us know if it works.

xtremezx2 said:
put your windows cd into the drive, go to run, and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and let that run. it'll go through and replace any missing or corrupt windows files.
Have a hard job to do that when he cant boot his pc into the OS :)

Back
Top Bottom