Windows won't recognize hard drive

Here is something weird. When I go into the Bios and disable the second hard drive it still shows up on the device manager and change management features in windows. This isn't supposed to happen, is it?

i think to add any new piece of hardware, you need to clear everything and start from scratch.....well thats what you had to do years ago.......i havent done it sence....well forever ago

How many partitions and drives are you showing. XP sometimes messes up and gets confused with drive letters over "F" , "G", "H". The work around on this is to change your optical drives to a higher letter designation such as "X","Y".or"Z". This particular problem really shows up with removable flash drives but since you had to reformat... windows sees your other hdd as a removable drive and thus was unable to assign a drive letter to it.
This is showing up more and more now with bigger drives and more partitions and the likes.

I changed my letters but the second drive still doesn't show up. However, when I went under the driver details of each drive, both drives are listed but their drivers both show the letter "E" which is the drive which shows up under "my computer". I'm thinking that both drives are under the same letter which is why the second one won't show up. Any else think this is correct or how to fix it? Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Disregard that last post. All the drivers refer to the "E" drive. I guess that is because they are all listed under the windows folder which is on the E drive. I guess I'm still confused as to what is going on.

You say windows is installed on E drive? Please post the partition and O/S setup details.

I had the same problem so if changing the drive letter dont work try this but im no expert. Go into bios and where the drives are listed as master and slave turn the slave to off save changes and exit that worked for me. but as i said im no expert.

Back
Top Bottom