Windows won't recognize hard drive

gartht799

Baseband Member
Hello,

I had to reinstall windows and everything went fine but the OS system won't recognize my second hard drive which I use a backup drive. The drive is listed in the bios and when I check under the windows system icon both drives are listed and the drivers are fine but I can't get the second drive listed under "my computer" so I can't open any of the old files I had on it. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks

I realized that I did in fact post a similiar problem in the past. I thought I did. The answer before was to use windows to repartion it. The only problem is that I can't format the drive because it has a lot of info that I can't afford to loose. The drive worked before reinstalling windows. I'm not sure why it won't work now.

Is it an external harddrive? Or I think even some internal harddrives, mainly if you buy them after then install them, come with some kind of installation disc.

If its not showing up in windows as a drive but is in the hardware tabs then it seems your partitions may be messed up. You may need to find a non-destructive partitioning tool.

Try going to admin tools in the controll pannel, select "computer management" and from that select "disk management".

This will show you exactly what windows is seeing in terms of partitions on all your drives. If the partition is there try assining a drive letter to it.

I did what you recommended. Under the second hard drive it states backup disk and then the drive size and then NTFS. Under that is states "healthy active". When I right click on the drive, the only option that is available is "delete partition".

No change drive option. I downloaded the program that per recommended but the problem is that I can't choose the hard drive from the drop down list so I can't get access to it. Its weird because the bios recognizes the drive and windows does to in the system software and in the computer manager. Do you think it has something to do with it being labeled as a backup drive?

Sometimes restoration won't work. The program GetDataBack from runtime. org usually works when nothing else does.

Back
Top Bottom