Windows won't load after SP2 update error

seant7326

Beta member
I recently tried to install Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, and about halfway through an error occured (something to the effect that "access is denied" for an operation that the installation wanted to preform). After that is started to uninstall what had already been installed, then froze/crashed. After trying to restart the computer it would no longer boot up, it would get all the way to the Windows XP screen with the progress bar at the bottom, finish that, then wait a few seconds, then power off and restart the whole process. This occured in regular mode, safe mode command prompt, everything. I went and got my Windows install CD, ran it and chose to repair the installation of XP, that ran, receivede a couple of erros but finished, tried to boot, got to the point of showing the cursor, then reset. Finally I re-installed Windows XP without removing the previous installation, so I have 2 operating systems of XP on the computer. I can successfully boot from the new one, and all the user settings are reset. I have all of my hard drive files and folders intact, but all user settings are reset to factory settings. The main problem is that even though all the programs are there, none of them will run, if I go to Add/Remove programs thare is no list. Is there any way to repair my old installation of XP from booting from the new one? I tried System Restore from the new one and it starts the checkpoints from the time I installed the new XP, no old checkpoints are available, and I did one right before I started that friggin SP2 update. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

lol that same thing happened to me it crashed halfway through uninstall. You will have to insert your xp os cd and choose the option to repair.

Sorry it kinda sucks though.

HI
WITH REGARDS TO THE "UPDATE"- it wont allow me to access yahoo-in particular chat saying unable to load voice-does anyone know y?

Thanks airiox, I did try to use the XP installation cd "repair" option, but the thing wouldn't work, 39 minutes of crap, then it still wouldn't boot. I reinstalled XP (without removing the old one) in a different location, so I can boot up with the new XP and see the original Windows folder that my bad XP OS used. Is there any way to go into that folder and find one of my system restore points and run it from there?

Back
Top Bottom